Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

March 27th, 2018 13:00

15 R3, 5GHz wireless issue

I've had my Alienware 15R3 for about a week - everythings been working fine and then last night the laptop suddenyl refused to connect to my 5ghz wirless network even though nothing had changed. 2ghz worked fine, I tested with other laptops and phones on the 5ghz in the house and they connected fine. When trying to connect and enter the password it either said the password was incorrect (which I know it wasn't) or it just closed the wireless window as if crashing and then reopened it again seconds later.

After googling this issue I removed the Killer drivers and software and reinstalled with the latest from the Killer website. This didn't work at first but then after a couple more reboots the 5ghz started working again. 

Annoyingly tonight the issue is back.. I know theres nothing wrong with my router or the password as all other devices are working fine. My router is an Asus RT-N66U with the latest firmware and I've tried changing channels etc.

I actually work in IT Support and I'm a bit stumped, my guess is the wireless card is faulty or the drivers are faulty. Any ideas anyone? Or has anyone had this and managed to fix it? It's really frustrating to have an issue like this so soon after buying a brand new laptop.

Thanks

Tim

P.S I can't login to the support section of the Dell website just keeps coming up with an error so asking here instead in the hope someone can help.

9 Posts

March 27th, 2018 14:00

Quick update - tried with no security at all on the 5ghz network to rule out password issues and the laptop still refused to connect.

Then about an hour after having the issue it realllly oddly has now picked up the network with the same SSID but added the number 2 on the end of it and connected with the same password it was refusing to use previously.The number 2 on the SSID is only showing on the system tray wireless SSD, in the properties of the wireless network it has the correct name without the 2.

All the other devices in the houses are connected with the correct SSID without the extra 2 at the end.

Something is really wrong with this Killer driver I think.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2018 13:00

Me too.

Very disappointing that over 3 months since this topic was opened and not a single response from dell customer support.  Shows you how much Dell cares about their customers.

1 Message

August 4th, 2020 18:00

Now years after and no single response, very sad 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 5th, 2020 01:00

Have you went inside the device manager and then to the WiFi card and then clicked properties?

there should be a setting which allows frequency changes.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-manually-switch-to-5GHz-WiFi-on-Windows-10?share=1

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 5th, 2020 03:00

Well it’s just a program issue then because all a WiFi card does is provide WiFi.

The signals would automatically change when the signal gets too far away to 2.4Ghz but when it gets closer it becomes 5Ghz.

9 Posts

It's extreeeeemely unlikely this is the router causing issues. Wifi communications are created to standard no matter what the type. IEEE 802.11. So no matter who provided your router they all fit in with the same standard. For reference mine was a BT Home Hub (5 I think).

A good test for anyone with the issue to rule this out in one hit would be go to a friends house and try there if they use a different router. But as I said I highly doubt this would be the cause, but stranger things have happened with IT!

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

So you didn’t use the device manager to manually disable 2.4Ghz and use the 5Ghz only?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

But....

All a WiFi router does is provide WiFi to your house or building.

The actual ISP provided the Internet to the WiFi router to provide internet to you.

Just like my poor grandma who thought that buying a WiFi router means you get WiFi as soon as you turn it on.

9 Posts

5ghz has much more bandwidth available and is obviously preferred (unless distance is an issue for some in which case 2ghz might even be preferred).

A good laptop will switch between both frequencies based on connection quality. To ask customers to disable 5ghz entirely on a high end laptop rather than address the actual issue would be an extremely poor direction.

If the issues still exists for any customers then I think Dell need to get re-involved. Perhaps Dell should look at providing an alternative Wifi card if the issue can't be fixed.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

Then comes the manually switch in the device manager.

32 Posts

Sometimes its the router, as it might have that device as logged in, and on your end its not so you're trying to login to the router that thinks your device is connected,and it has a error on your pc say you can not connect.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but there is a lot at work in the router, can create log in faults, this is why your ISP will tell you to turn your router on and off if you have a internet problem, same with wifi at times.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

What kinda strange things?

9 Posts

Sorry just re-read your message and realise you meant the reverse! Nope I didn't try using 5ghz exclusively. 

Perhaps if someone else has the issue still they can try this.

9 Posts

I sold my Alienware laptop on in the end not purely because of this unresolved issue.. I agree it was pretty poor that we didn't get a response from Techsupport. I tried all sorts of different settings (and drivers) including changes within device manager (sleep settings etc).

I did also purchase a different brand of Wifi card to install but didn't use it. I did actually manage to stabilise the issue before I sold it on. But honestly I couldn't tell you how\why I got it working as I was just repeating steps I had already tried. What I do remember is that I installed the Killer software and messed about with that for ages!

No Events found!