Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2018 00:00

15 R4, screen dimming/flickering

I recently got my Alienware 15 and it was fine for the first week but after a while it started becoming really dark out of nowhere. Usually, the brightness would go back to normal but now the screen is too dark like on lowest brightness setting and won't go back to normal. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

2 Posts

November 18th, 2018 00:00

So I think I’ve solved the issue.

if you encounter this issue meanwhile you are on battery you must go to the power plan setup and at the bottom, after the display option ( brightness, dim brightness ecc...) you will need to change the intel power saving option, this will solve the issue completely.

tested and worked.

4 Posts

August 7th, 2018 01:00

Same issue here. I bought an AW 15R4 around a month ago. After like a week, the screen got really dim when the laptop was running on battery power, charging the laptop makes the screen light back up again. I have checked my drivers and they are all up to date. Sometimes the screen remains lit when its on battery power, but turns dim again when the battery level sinks below 90% ish. Sometimes, the display doesn't even become bright when I plug it in and I would have to bear with the low brightness of the screen while gaming. I honestly have no idea if this is a software issue or hardware, but I think something could be wrong with the display panel or with something in that region as there is a little gap between the bezel and the lcd screen in my Alienware and I can see light coming out of it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2018 15:00

Hi @nwd45876@Xenove,

Here are the steps you can both try:

1. install latest BIOS
2. install latest video driver from Dell
3. if not possible, install all windows updates
4. change to high performance power options, even on battery.
5. adjust the brightness manually using the keyboard.
6. if all else fails: reinstall Windows.

1 Message

August 7th, 2018 23:00

I have the exact same issue on the same unit. I bought my laptop a month ago. It was okay on the first 10 use. I havent been playing a lot since i bought it but when i played dota 2 today my screen brightness started flickering from like 0% to 100% out of nowhere but my screen brightness is on 100% at all times. Most of the time it stays on full dim and itll light up again for a couple of secs then goes dim with flickery effect. I also notice that even booting the computer up on the Alienware title screen it still on dim with the flickery effect. I suppose its a hardware issue? What am i suppose to do? Should i send it to dell for them to fix? Im really frustrated right now im really afraid ill be stuck on a 1500$ broken pc :(

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 10th, 2018 08:00

Hi @RayNikko14,

Send me a PM with the Service Tag so I can review your case. 

1 Message

September 27th, 2018 22:00

I am having the same issue. I bought this laptop on 10 September. Just few days after it starts flickering. Now it turns completely 0% brightness. I even did not install any game. I have installed all updated drivers, bios. But nothing works. Don't know what to do. Really disappointed :( 

1 Message

November 12th, 2018 14:00

I've also encountered the same problem on my Alienware 15 R4. 

2 Posts

November 14th, 2018 23:00

My Alienware 15R4 that I’ve bought last October give me the same issue.

it dim to very dark and start to flicker.

i don’t know what to do, it happen more often when I’m on battery and I’ve tried everything.

i wonder if is the windows latest update that cause it.

i really love this laptop but it start to give me too many issue (overheating too, with temp that goes up to 100c!)I think this will be the last one if this problem doesn’t have a fix.

if anyone have the solution please post here!

6 Posts

March 19th, 2019 09:00

I have the same problem. On battery screen will flicker and then backlight will turn off.  When I reset the system the alienware logo is still dark (proving its not windows).

I sent a private message about it with the service tag after I created an account just now, but then it said I sent to many private messages? I dont think you got it. Please reply or message me.

I even tried the above power options thing but I still have the issue (unless i did not do it correctly)

21 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 06:00

This recommendation:

4. change to high performance power options, even on battery.

Will make the system nosier and run hotter.  Not what I want my system doing. I have done all other items mentioned and the screen is still flickering on my new m15 when I move the courser around! This is with a fully charged battery and power supply connected. 

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 12:00

No one replied to me from this post and it has been weeks.

I got online and on the phone with service techs on this issue and Dell has deleted my service tag from their support site, he said he would call me back about it (a week ago). 

I complained on the BBB site because I think dell is trying to pull a warranty scam.

I suggest everyone do the same.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 13:00

Hi @davidmp , @ZGanj

Send me a private message with the Service Tag, so I can review your cases.

1 Message

June 5th, 2019 19:00

davidmp did you find any solutions? I just got a brand new m15 and having the same issues you describe 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 6th, 2019 08:00

Hi @BnNV

Send me a private message (by clicking on my Alienware name) with the Alienware PC Service Tag number, a detailed explanation of your problem and the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that you can review your case.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2019 06:00

My screen goes crazy like an old tv
No Events found!