Alienware 17 R4 CPU Overheating and Bios Update

Jump to solution

So, my cpu has recently started overheating again, I've experienced this before and I would get around 75-80+ Celsius. I downloaded this app called CAM to track my temperatures and my cpu would constantly surpass 80 Celsius but my gpu would be fine whenever I would play fortnite. Also, I was wondering if I should do a BIOS Update since I've heard those could ruin my computer. Much help would be appreciated Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Alienware 17 R4 CPU Overheating and Bios Update

Jump to solution

You could do both of those. There's no reason why the PC would break with an official BIOS. The thermal repaste is something many users do in order to keep temperatures lower.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unfortunately in this case, DELL won't do it. You can contact the tech store. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Nexus Moon
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I think things turned bad for me since the 1.2.4 BIOS, the 1.3.0 is even more troublesome. You won't be able to downgrade anything older than 1.2.4 FYI. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

But the problem is, before I updated to the new BIOS Update I already had this issue and you're saying it's going to make it worse?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @SocialExpirement,

The temperatures that your system is showing are normal. These are not considered overheating.

Check the below table for max temps on the Alienware 13R3, 15R3, 17R4, this is applicable with BIOS version S1.0.9_K1.0.1 ,S1.0.9_K1.0.1 or higher.

Component Thermal peak specification
(degree C)
Processor 100
GPU 94
SSD 81/78 *
HDD 69/60 *
Memory 95
Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

But then for some reason I would constantly have lag spikes whenever I play Fortnite so I think that it was an overheating problem or should I change my thermal paste?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

And should I do the BIOS update because I'm scared if it ruins my computer.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You could do both of those. There's no reason why the PC would break with an official BIOS. The thermal repaste is something many users do in order to keep temperatures lower.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

For the repasting, should I contact Dell because I was going to call one of the computer tech stores nearby and asked if they could do it for me.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Unfortunately in this case, DELL won't do it. You can contact the tech store. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Okay, thank you for your help!

0 Kudos