Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

January 14th, 2019 02:00

17 R4, keyboard issue, F4, comma, delete keys

Hi

I bought my alienware 17 r4 about a year ago and been using it for some decent gaming since then. The first thing I noticed about the computer was the heating issues. And it has only gotten worse. Some games must be frame capped due to the high GPU temperatures (185.0 F).|
After some time the comma key started to fail intermittenty.. But would start to function properly again after pressing it a few times. I experienced this problem with my last alienware computer as well (m18x r2).. and it never got better. 

Now the comma..F4 and delete key doesn't work at all. I have tried to update the bios and to reinstall/update all drivers. An external keyboard resolves the problem... But I don't want to be dependent on an external one.

I really hope to get some help this time!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 14th, 2019 12:00

Hi @Laroz220,

If the system is still under warranty, send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you further. 

3 Posts

September 13th, 2021 01:00

Good day all. I believe I have found what is causing this issue where F4, Comma and Del keys are not working. This happens when downloading the latest graphics card drivers from the nVidia site. To test, I have uninstalled, reinstalled again and again different versions from nVidia directly. When no driver installed, the keys work, when driver is installed, keys stop working. I then made sure to download the June 2021 driver from DELL and everything now works like it should. Do not use nVidia to update your drivers.

No Events found!