Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

December 9th, 2018 00:00

17 R5, keys working intermittently

Hello, I've had this Alienware R5 17 for a little over four months now and some of the keys on the keyboard work intermittently. The keys in question are the "~", F3, F12, and Page Up keys. I've sent this laptop in back through Best Buys Geek Squad to see if it could be repaired, and they sent it to wherever they send things they can't fix in-store to be fixed. After two weeks I go and pick it up and was told that the manufacturer didn't find anything wrong with the laptop, and that no repairs were needed. As far as I know the manufacturer for this particular device is Dell, so here I am. If there "isn't anything wrong" with this laptop why do these keys work and then not work at random? Any help right now would be greatly appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 10th, 2018 12:00

Hi @Sylphnir,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date. If you can try an external KB (when you're having issues with the laptop's KB) and it works fine, then it should be related to hardware.

If this is the case, send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you further. 

August 6th, 2020 23:00

I am having the same problem. Tilde key f3 f12 and page up is not working for me. Sometimes it works randomly but most of the time it doesn't work. Please help.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 7th, 2020 12:00

Have you tried reinserting the keyboard Membrane cable back into the slot?

August 17th, 2020 11:00

Do I have to open my laptop for that? If so, is there a video guide?

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 17th, 2020 14:00

You have to open the laptop, but it’s pretty easy since you can see the kb_membrane text on the cable itself.

its the biggest cable.

August 18th, 2020 11:00

OK thanks. I'll let you know the results.

August 19th, 2020 00:00

So I opened my laptop and re plug the cable no fix. I also manage to make my f3 f12 tilde key and page up work but when they work, my escape key f9 key does not. I have to keep spamming the keys to work and I have to run the program keyboard tester for it to work. When I get my esc and f9 key to work. the f3 f12 tilde and page up stops working, vice versa.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 20th, 2020 13:00

Keyboard issue.

youll need to replace it then if that’s happening.

August 21st, 2020 00:00

Ok thanks for the help.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 21st, 2020 06:00

You’re welcome.

No Events found!