Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

83 Posts

January 27th, 2019 03:00

17 R5, Light wrong colour

Hi I have an Alienware 17 R5 a few months old and the led that lights the logo "ALIENWARE" is showing the wrong colour. Basically it is green when it should be blue.

This seemed to go wrong after an update to Win10 1803. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.

AWCC version is: 5.1.18.0_A00. Please dont ask me to update to latest version as i have already tried that and things get worse. Also tried power drain.

Thanks.

61 Posts

January 27th, 2019 09:00

What happens when you tell it to be purple? I ask because it should use blue and red to make purple. If it shows up as red, it sounds like the blue led driver died.

83 Posts

January 27th, 2019 09:00

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I think you are right. Purple is a little on the pink side and pale blue is a little green. Yellows orange and reds seem ok. How easy is it to get to the led connector for that led?. I wish i had never bought this Alienware. It was expensive. My first one died (motherboard failure) this one is proving a pain to update and is buggy. Support dont seem to know what they are doing. You get the usual leave it with me and i will investigate, then nothing. Or they will give you completely outdated information.

I dont want to give my machine to dell as i have heard some real horror stories about machines being broken scratched or worse than when they started. Since i am on my second machine, i can only think that the components are poor quality or badly put together.

61 Posts

January 27th, 2019 10:00

I had to send mine in twice for led problems. Both times they had to replace the motherboard. To be fair, they were fast and my laptop was returned undamaged.

83 Posts

January 27th, 2019 13:00

Thanks that's reassuring. I am in France, might be a bit different here.

You are probably in the UK

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 28th, 2019 12:00

Hi @BonesB ,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag, so I can review your case.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2020 16:00

I have the same issue, can u pls tell me what happened with ur prob?

May 4th, 2020 11:00

Same Problem.  I updated my bios from 1.6.5 to 1.8.1 from the DELL support website as per it's urgent recommendation.  Not only do i have an alienware logo showing wrong color but now the light that runs along the left side of the keyboard is wrong color too.  For the devs, when trying to adjust the colors independantly from the rest it appears that it only changes through about 5 different colors - they aren't even vibrant or bright.

I spent all night trying to downgrade my bios from 1.8.1 back to 1.6.5 but the windows installer won't let you downgrade and when trying to install from a bootable usb, the error message says this application can not be run from DOS - even though the instructions on the support site clearly says it can be run from windows or DOS

Guess things aren't being tested before they are rolled out.  I did a clean install of just the OS and required driver updates from the DELL website including the current version of AWCC.

No Events found!