Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

11 Posts

November 19th, 2018 19:00

17 R5, WiFi dropping issue

I got my Alienware 17 R5 yesterday, and it has the problem with its Wifi connection. Every once in a while (approximately 1-2 hours), my Wifi will disconnect automatically and reconnect by itself. This is so frustrating since I game a lot and I am kicked out of the server due to this Wifi issue The Wireless adapter is Killer wireless-AC 1550(9260NGW), along with the adapter, I have a Killer E2500G Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The software it came with are Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite UWD and Killer Wireless Driver UWD. I've check if the driver is up-to-date(it is up-to-date) and I also unchecked the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save the power option in Device manager. I have reset the OS to factory reset as well. I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the driver. None of these helped. My Wifi modem is Xfinity and has both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. My other devices in my house work fine with the Wifi. Can someone help me figure to out? I just got this laptop 1 day. PS.  I am thinking replace the killer wireless card with an intel wireless card, because I was told that the issue is came from the Killer wireless card. I learned how to manually replace the wireless card from Alienware Website, but I don't know what are the following steps after I replace the card. I wish someone could help me on this.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 20th, 2018 08:00

It would appear there are problems with that wifi adapter, if can go by various web posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/99ek7k/my_wifi_keeps_disconnecting/

Read the first posts on this page...might help with a fix.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/8omw5t/killer_1550_alienware_17_r5_issue/

83 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 12:00

Uninstall Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite or turn it off.

1 Message

June 5th, 2019 18:00

I am using Dell 17 inch , bought in Canada. Never had WiFi drop issue, but ever since I moved to India I am experiencing the WiFi drop issue every 10 mts of usage. But all my devices disconnects as well, restarting the router every now and then is frustrating.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 6th, 2019 14:00

Hi @Shivsparky,

Send me a private message (by clicking my Alienware-name) with the Alienware PC service tag number so I can assist you further.

1 Message

July 29th, 2019 17:00

Hello, I am having this exact same issue. I used to think it was my WAP so I replaced it but it keeps happening. I have the Alienware 17 R5. I have several things on the WAP but when I log on to my Alienware laptop, not only do I not get connected to the WAP but everyone else on the WAP is disconnected and I can only fix it by restarting the router. This doesn't happen every time; sometimes I can go a week and everything is good but usually it's only a few days and it'll kill the network several times in a row. It happened tonight 3 times and I figured it was time to find a solution. Any ideas? Thank you so much for any help!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 29th, 2019 20:00

Hi, 

For our records, click my name and private message me the Alienware PC service tag number.

1 Message

July 31st, 2019 23:00

My alienware 17 also seems to be having a similar issue, but unfortunately uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and/or the performance suite doesnt seem to help. I even bought a usb adapter in the hopes that it would solve the problem but it doesnt seem to be. I also find it quite weird as any website im currently connected to, I can continue to connect to, but only to a certain degree whereas new websites or previously closed ones completely reject me. Ive tried both with and without firewall and honestly im pretty confused at this point. Anyone got a fix/idea to make it work that doesnt involve the drivers?

1 Message

August 7th, 2019 20:00

I bought the same laptop, 20 JUN 2021, and I have been having the same issue.  I reported issues with my Killer Wifi card several times to Dell Support and I have Premium Support.  The first time or two Dell Support Reinstalled the Operating System and was able to restore network connectivity.  After that my NIC stopped working again and they sent out a tech who replaced the Killer NIC.  After replacing the NIC he had problems restoring network connection via LAN or WIFI but after reinstalling the drivers a couple of times and rebooting the NIC started working on the LAN but not on the WIFI.  It took one more reboot to get the WIFI to work again.  I had another time where the NIC stopped working, Dell Support got it working again but when the tech ran it through the stress test the laptop started  crashing.  I had to mail the laptop back to Dell and had the motherboard replaced.  After receiving the laptop back I had the NIC stop working several times but I was able to restore service again until a couple of weeks ago.  The NIC stopped working and I could not get it to restore.  Dell support was able to assist again but to be frank, I am tired of using Dell Support, especially for the same issue over and over again.

The symptoms:

• Both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome stop displaying a web page.
  • Open Network and Internet settings and it will tell you that you are connected to the Internet.
  • If you open a command prompt and ping an URL it responds.

To get the web pages to work again:

• Disable the WIFI and connect to the LAN.  It may take a couple of tries the URLs begin to work again.  Unplug from the LAN and Reboot this works some of the times.
  • If the above did not work then Uninstall the driver from the WIFI adapter by right clicking and clicking on properties.  Click on the Configure button and under the Driver tab click on Uninstall, leave the check box blank and click Uninstall Device.  Reboot the laptop.
  • If this doesn't work call Dell Support.

1 Message

March 31st, 2020 19:00

I've had the same issue with my 17R5.  Dell was of no help.  Was on the line with customer service and sales and both had no resolution beyond updating drivers, etc.  The one reoccurring theme from all the boards is the Killer wifi card is somehow not working correctly.  I attempted to verify with Dell what (if any) network card would work with my laptop to replace the garbage Killer card. After hours on the phone being passed from tech support to general customer service to sales...no one seemed to be able to answer the simple question "What other network card will work with my laptop".  Pretty sad.  

Ultimately I made an educated guess and bought a new card off amazon.  Card came in today.  Downloaded the drivers for the new card. Powered off the computer.  Installed the new card.  Powered it back on.  Deleted all the Killer products. Installed the new drivers.  Works perfectly now.  No drops.  

Here's the card I bought and installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085H85W8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No Events found!