Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2020 06:00

Area-51m R1, RTX 2080 upgrade kit? #4

I saw that the RTX 2080 graphics cards were on sale earlier this year but I can't find any more information on that. I would like to upgrade my notebook as promised by Dell. What about the people who invested their money in the m51 R1 in this regard?

PS: Sorry for bad english and/or typos

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 20th, 2020 23:00

Hi @JonathanSF  the Alienware Area-51m NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Upgrade kit is being sold for $1,654.73 (Part V16X7, sales SKU 490-BFDL) Here. The Cart works, so Upgrade Kit is available for purchase. 

9 Posts

October 29th, 2020 21:00

I bought the 2070 upgrade kit and received: GPU, thermal paste, bag of screws. I called the sales rep back who conferred with the "backend team" and he told me they said I already had the power adapter and that my 2060 thermal shield would be fine enough.

Basically they were ok with charging me full price for only delivering the GPU, paste, and screws.

I returned it.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 20th, 2020 06:00

Call dell and they'll have the part for you but since the new 3000 series came out it'll make the price for the rtx 2080 cheaper.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

September 20th, 2020 12:00

You will need to contact your local Dell office to find out about availability.  The 2080 upgrade kits were released late in 2019, for about $1,400 list price -- but not long thereafter the supplies dried up, with Dell promising more kits at some unspecified time in the future.  I haven't seen any announcement that more ever became available.

Unfortunately, if Dell doesn't have these, you're stranded:  these are proprietary format cards that aren't made by any other suppliers.  That being the case, don't expect prices to fall;  if anything, since this is a terminal upgrade for your model, they'll probably rise.  That's what happens when demand outstrips supply, and the part is single-source.

Don't expect the advent of the 3000 series GPUs to change anything, as these cannot be used in the R1 systems (by Dell's own announcement).  And with the small number ever produced, the 2080 cards will always be expensive as a result. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 21st, 2020 00:00

Save 17% on select PCs, Electronics, and Accessories

Offer valid 9/10/2020 7:00AM CST through 9/24/20 7:00AM CST Coupon is good with select other offers, but not with other coupons. Offer does not apply to, and is not available with, systems or items purchased through Dell Outlet or spare parts. Purchase limit of 3 items per order. Not valid for resellers and/or online auctions. Dell reserves the right to cancel orders arising from pricing or other errors. 

SAVE17.jpg

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 21st, 2020 13:00

What is in the Dell GPU upgrade Kit (check before buying):-

The Dell kits come with three parts: a new GPU built on Dell’s DGFF (Dell Graphics Form Factor) specification; a thermal kit for that GPU (the more powerful GPUs need better cooling); and a more powerful charger. In November 2019, Dell was also offering a service where a technician will come by and perform the installation for you, should you not be comfortable taking apart your laptop yourself.

Better to start with the upgrade kit and not just the GPU?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

September 21st, 2020 15:00

There's also a warranty on the card when the kit comes from Dell -- buy used on EBay and you may save a few hundred dollars, but if the card fails in a short time, good luck unless the seller has a sterling reputation.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 21st, 2020 16:00

There has been speculation Here: Should Nvidia ever launch the "RTX 3080", for example, existing owners could simply swap out the GPUs not unlike on a desktop. The actual process of replacing the GPU will still be relatively involved because users must remove the bottom plating and heat sink beforehand. To alleviate this, Dell will offer upgrade options where users can send in their Area-51m laptops for professional servicing and more.

Search on Dell Graphic & Video Cards did not find the Alienware Area-51m NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Upgrade kit, built on Dell’s DGFF (Dell Graphics Form Factor).

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

Dell/Alienware has already confirmed the 2080 will be the terminal upgrade for the Area 51m R1.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

Well yeah but if you wanna spend $1,680 on a RTX 2080 with 8gb of VRAM instead of a Fully upgradable 3080 with 14Gb of GDDR6X and HDMI 2.1 support?

I understand the RTX 2080 for the Area 51m has a warranty but mines already expired.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2020 11:00

Hi @JonathanSF  when you get the Alienware Area-51m NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Upgrade kit and before you install it, carefully check its heat dissipation capability. Users report the on-board power Mosfets burn out without extra cooling.

Unfortunately there is considerable speculation what thermal solution is in the current Dell kit. Users say it should include a backside VRM radiator part number 2WYX4 or P92K8. Other users say it should have a thermal pad. Some user say it should have an improved heat extraction fan.

However, we have no idea what is supplied in the current Dell kit. Please update this thread with what is in the Dell kit supplied to you. Thank you.  

RTX2080 with thermal pad.jpg RTX 2080 without extra cooling.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 22nd, 2020 12:00

I got it.

No Events found!