Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2018 12:00

Can I hook my VR to the AW Graphics Amplifier without a GPU?

So I have an Alienware R4 17 with a GTX 1070. 

Is it possible to use the alienware graphics amplifier to hook the WMR VR via HDMI without a GPU inside the amplifier? will it automatically default to the GPU inside the laptop and run through the graphics amplifier?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

I removed a post because I thought it wasn’t incorrect and Dell doesn’t provide a way to delete them, but doing some research, I’ll restate my original post. The AGA doesn’t have an HDMI port built into it. It only has USB ports and then the port for the cable that attaches to the system. The only way you get display outputs in the AGA is by having a GPU installed there, because the display outputs are part of the GPU board. So I don’t understand what you’re trying to do with an AGA that doesn’t have a GPU installed. Why can’t you connect your VR setup to the HDMI output built into your laptop?

4 Posts

Nevermind what? you haven't answered the question.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

EDIT: Never mind.

4 Posts

July 11th, 2018 13:00

Ok that answers my question. Thanks.

I wanted to do this because I want to eventually buy a GPU but I wanted to do it in steps. I also wanted to make a docking station for all the things that connect to the laptop so when I come home I can plug everything in at once. I also thought that if I use an AGA without a GPU, it would increase the life of my laptop but if you're saying there is no HDMI then it's useless for me.

Thanks again.

No Events found!