Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

November 21st, 2020 18:00

m17 R2, converting from RAID to AHCI

I just purchased an m17 R2 to replace my desktop mid-tower, and want to remove the two RAID drives and replace them with my cloned (via Macrium Reflect) Win10 Pro 1TB Boot drive and 1TB data drive (copied/cloned) from the Mid-Tower, both to 1TB pcie M.2 2280's.

The m17 R2 has four slots, SSD1 - SSD-4

I plan to go into BIOS (F2) and switch from RAID ON to ACPI and then into Boot Manager (F12) and delete the  Raid Array.  Then I'll open the computer, remove the two (Formerly raid) drives and replace them with my two drives (the cloned Boot drive and the copied Data drive).

Does anyone know (or know a way to figure out) which slots are the RAIDs.  (I suspect they are physical SSD slots 3 and 4, since the Windows disk management program shows the two ACPI drives as 0 and 1 and the RAID drive as drive 2 (RAID 3 + 4), but before I open the computer, I could sure use any feedback on my project, especially any "gotcha's" involved.

I have done this several times over the decade (3247, XPS-15), using Alienware Assist for the drivers and downloading the Alienware software apps (some of which I don't want).

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Chuck

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2020 03:00

Hi @BuleriaChk1  all the M.2 drive slots accept NVMe Solid State Drives. (NVMe are not SATA AHCIThe drive's configuration on the NVMe will normally tell the BIOS which drive configuration is being used during the POST process. This should occur automatically. The BIOS window may open for the different drive configuration to be manually accepted. Windows Update will get the m17 R2 drivers and install these on the NVMe OS C drive. SupportAssist on the NVMe OS C drive will provide automated, proactive, and predictive support. SupportAssist will visit Support for Alienware m17 R2 Drivers & Downloads and you may choose to not install the BIOS Security Update. 

No Events found!