Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

4 Posts

August 6th, 2020 00:00

Hard Drive Missing After Updates

Hi all,

After following SupportAssist's advice to update my system yesterday, my laptop no longer displays my D drive and is much slower (the drive is hidden in Device Manager and shows a Code 45 error - I have not hit / damaged / opened my laptop). All of my software, documents and files that were stored in D are missing. The updates I installed were:
  • Alienware Firmware update 0.2.5.0 
  • Intel (System) 10.1.16.7
I tried multiple solutions, including system restore to a previous back-up point but nothing helps. 

Are you aware of any issues related to these updates? I would greatly appreciate it if you could assist me in resolving this issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 6th, 2020 06:00

Make a backup of your computer and reinstall the OS. But before that, rollback the bios update you did to see if that works.

August 6th, 2020 07:00

Hi @Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006,

Any ideas on how to roll back the BIOS update? I tried restoring to an earlier back-up point but it does not seem to roll it back. Is it as simple as downloading and running the 2.4.1. version - would that automatically downgrade it? 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 6th, 2020 07:00

Spoiler

Yup, it’ll work just like that. All your doing is flashing the bios and that’s it.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 6th, 2020 13:00

So that means it’s a bad boot drive. If it doesn’t show up and you already Reseated the Boot drive, it’s a bad drive.

August 6th, 2020 13:00

Flashed the BIOS (02.04.01 currently) but that did not help. I also ran an ePSA which showed that all tests have passed but still no sign of the drive - even the F2 screen on start shows First HDD as "None".

Thanks for your help on this, I will reinstall the OS when I have the time. 

August 15th, 2020 00:00

Reseated the drive but that did not help - guess I'll have to try it on another computer and replace if not working.

Thanks for all your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 15th, 2020 13:00

Your very welcome.

May 6th, 2021 01:00

Hi,

Just got the same probl today after updating because of the new dell security issues, and my drives are also missing. How can you say its a bad drive if it was working before the update? Just trying to understand what went wrong.

Ricardo

May 6th, 2021 02:00

update:

For me reseating the drives worked, so thank you! 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

May 7th, 2021 06:00

So thats amazing! Hope it doesen't happen again.

No Events found!