Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

10 Posts

August 8th, 2023 15:00

m16 R1, OpenRGB/AlienFX Linux Keyboard LED Updates, uses Maximum 65W for CPU

The m16 R1 is a best, theoretically. However, due to some wild graphics issues under Windows, I've had to switch to Linux. Specifically Arch Linux as Ubuntu was NOT working. 

1) OpenRGB and AlienFX are unable to control the LED colors and zones on the keyboard. How long until those projects are provided with the information they need in order to support LED control. (I can set the colors under Windows, but they do not persist at reboot) 

2) Even under full load, the CPU caps at 65W, sometimes throttling to 55W even tho temps are 55-65 degress. So there is something wrong here. The CPU should be able to do 75W to 105W apparently according to various white paper documentation and other resources. 

What is needed for that to be resolved? One of the various Ryzen tools to be updated? An AMD platform update? 

Or: Alienware Command Center for Linux. It can be written for Ubuntu, for example but then a PKGBUILD created to install the .DEB on Arch Linux. EndeavourOS, Manjaro, etc. 

Its 2023 and we have AI tools to help streamline professional workloads. It seems as though one of those could be utilized to optimize the Dell driver workflow not just for Windows but also for Linux-based OSs. 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 8th, 2023 16:00

The issue is that you're looking for Dell to support an endeavor it has already chosen not to -- that is, Linux support on this model.   My point:  that's not going to happen.

Dell does have support for Linux on many of its systems.  Alienware systems are not among them.  They're sold in small numbers relative to XPS, Latitude, etc. systems that do have Linux support, so there's no clear business case for spending what it would cost to produce the support you want to have.  Notebook systems are designed by contractors to a set of specifications produced by the company (Dell) that has the manufacturer (Compal) design and build.  

If your system is under warranty, Dell has an obligation to fix any issues  you encounter with the operating system it shipped;  it's not clear from your post what those issues were, or are, but your solution of changing over to a completely unsupported operating system landed you here, looking for support you'll never receive.  You may not like that direct answer, but it's the correct one, whatever excess verbiage Microsoft AI produces.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 8th, 2023 15:00

While you're free to undertake writing drivers and software for Linux on this system, don't expect Dell to pay the system manufacturer (Compal Electronics) for it -- only Windows 11 is supported on this model.

Dell likely has no information to supply regarding the issues in your questions -- and the manufacturer of the system won't, either.

There are some gaming systems with Linux support -- this one isn't one of them.

August 8th, 2023 16:00

Thank you for your prompt response, but I have to say, it doesn't fully satisfy the concerns I've raised. I acknowledge that Dell has committed to supporting Windows 11 for this model, but I believe there's room for exploring more. (That being said: please see another post where a fellow M16R1 AMD user and I both experience a lack of support for Windows 11 by Dell. The branding is Alienware, it is sold and supported by Dell. It is a Dell. It is Alienware. It is a Dell Alienware device. Dell therefore must support it <Only with Windows! DELL-Admin>.) The workaround to Dell's issues on Windows 11? Install Linux, use envycontrol to force nvidia RTX 4090. It is not a solution, but a DIY workaround in the absence of Dell/Alienware/"Compal" Windows 11 basic functionality.

Dell is a leader in the tech industry with immense resources and a history of working with Linux solutions. It's 2023, and AI tools are available to help streamline various workloads. Why shouldn't this extend to enhancing Dell's support for Linux-based OSs? <Because the Alienware platform team decided not to support Linux. DELL-Admin>

Companies like System76, much smaller in size, are managing to provide Linux drivers. Surely, a tech giant like Dell could invest in a workflow to include AlienFX or OpenRGB support for new products. <That is NOT going to happen. See above. DELL-Admin>

To provide a more constructive solution, I suggest the following:

• Collaborate with Open Source communities to develop documentation for the OpenRGB and AlienFX utilities.
  • Create guides and tutorials to enable customers to integrate hardware identifiers into RGB utilities and use AI platforms like ChatGPT for automation.
  • Utilize the business-to-business link with AMD to establish a solid platform driver for high-end CPUs.

Suggesting customers must "go it alone" on a premium laptop seems a bit off. The potential collaboration between Dell, AMD, and the Open Source community can pave the way to a solution that meets the needs of various customers. As a consumer, I am looking for alternative solutions to the up and coming cloud-only-focused Windows model, not only for gaming but also for working on custom LLM models and custom image generation models. I believe it's within Dell's capabilities to integrate such solutions.

I hope my concerns are taken seriously and not dismissed as mere critique, in the way I am interpreting your reply as one from an overly zealous. I'm eager to hear about Dell's plans to adapt and innovate in the ever-changing tech landscape from an actual Dell representative, or from those who have found actual solutions to these issues. 

No other company offers the financing options and on-site support option does like Dell for their high end gaming/development/AI consumer workstations such as this. I believe they can innovate with driver support and platform managment. 

I also believe they can solve the issues with Windows 11 as well: but that means stepping out of the 20+ year Intel-focused approach when it it comes to switchable graphics solutions and actually working with AMD engineers with their B2B connections. 

Is Dell not capable of innovating, growing, and adapting? If that is the case: why should anyone bother with ever purchasing a Dell? If this isn't even a Dell or Alienware machine, but instead a "Compal Electronics" machine - why bother with the Dell and Alienware branding? 

Your message raises more questions than it does providing answers.

(edited)

August 8th, 2023 17:00

What you are saying is that Dell would rather not fix issues under Windows 11 related to their BIOS, or AMD drivers. (Which apparently you state they have an obligation to under warranty - but for the other user and I, no resolution has been forthcoming. I have 4 years on-site warranty. Even swapping my mobo would make me happy).

Then when customers like me find a workaround - use a Linux USB - and point out that basic functionality is missing (fan speed, CPU VID, FID, TDP, PPT, PPD) they would rather not provide the values and instead let people wing it? 

Look maybe you just are ignorant of open source projects. But they are COMMUNITY projects. Dell providing basic values PROTECTS DELL from people trying to DIY it, messing up their system, removing their Linux USB and blaming Windows! 

Contributing to an open source project and providing knowledge is not providing “support” - it’s just basic PYOA for Dell. 

Basically: I’m pointing out a flaw. Linux is missing basic CPU voltage, clock and power values. You state I should DIY them. Those are something the customer should NEVER DIY! Linux or Windows! 

It’s like telling me to go and use a powershell script to take ownership of locked files on Windows and then modify the AMD powerplay tables to overclock to 6.5GHz or something; or use that script to try to resolve the oddities under windows related to using Nvidia Optimus + AMD integrated Graphics + this CPU  + the current BIOS. 

(edited)

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 8th, 2023 18:00

I have no intention of furthering your agenda -- good luck to you.

No Events found!