Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

January 25th, 2020 10:00

m17 R1, 2019, multiple issues, new customers be cautious

For those who may be reviewing Alienware m17 R1 laptop comments and reviews I would like to share my customer service experience.

I purchased my new Alienware m17 R1 laptop in late August. In addition to the laptop I have additional warranty coverage and accidental protection. From nearly the first day of owning the laptop there were signs, issues, and calls to Alienware describing what I can only call a lemon. I've owned many Dell products and purchased them for family members since the mid 90s. I know what good customer service looks like. I like to think I'm an understanding customer. I try to be patient and understanding until I feel I am being drug along for a ride...

My laptop had numerous activation issues right out of the box with Windows 10. Many calls to Dell, some to Microsoft. 

Next the battery died within a month. It would not charge. Multiple power supplies did not help when testing. Alienware agreed to replace the battery. 

At the same time I was hearing a high-pitched sound coming from the heat sync area in the central top area of the system. The whining would only occur when the power supply was plugged in. 

Dell shipped a new battery. They shipped a replacement heatsync, which is where they thought the problem was coming from. 

Upon arriving the onsite tech felt the heatsync didn't need to be replaced and only replaced the battery. The sound issue came back shortly thereafter. 

Alienware support re-evaluated my situation yet again. They felt the motherboard, heatsync, and fans needed replacement.

So after delays in getting parts, I had another tech onsite. The parts they sent were refurbished. Even though the heat sync came in a box within a box, it was damaged.The grill was broke. The tech then moved over what he could from the refurbished heatsync to the existing one. He replaced multiple fans. He reapplied the thermal paste.

He applied so much thermal paste it was all over the inside of the machine. It was even in parts of the heatsync. An incredibly sloppy job and likely would only cause heat problems. 

He next replaced the motherboard and then left. The system would not reboot into windows. He didn't know how to fix it. I had to rebuild the OS.

Now we are a few months into continuous calls, dozens of emails. As I brought the OS online all usb ports now on the right side of the system would not function. 

More calls to Alienware support. Now they said that a new motherboard would be needed a second time! The motherboard was on backorder. 

I pleaded with customer care, with Alienware techs, and with Alienware management. I asked them if Dell would simply replace my system. While they should do the right thing and replace with the same exact system and new, I would at this point have even taken a refurbished system. I was quoted policy repeatedly in multiple calls. Despite having problems since purchasing this computer and a history of calls they could review, technical support would not consider a replacement system after 30 days; again, even though I had issues well within the 30 day window I called about. After well over a week I was told the part wouldn't come for weeks still. My only option was to send to the Depot.

I've been effectively without any working system since December 3rd and without a fully functioning system since it was purchased. 

Dell received my computer at the depot on the 21st of Jan. Now I am told that parts yet again are delayed and cannot be located until Feb 25th. I am further asked to wait for 10 business days before they can offer another solution if they can't get the parts. 

I'm sorry, but this customer service is unacceptable. I know Dell is better than this but despite my pleadings and my civil letters to their support, I can't get any quicker movement. 

Folks, we buy an Alienware system for the brand. I could pay less for another brand and for similar capabilities. For what support costs, in order to retain good customers, there are times when you need to stop quoting policy and do what is right by the customer. 

Now I still have no system and must wait and I don't know that even after 10 days I will be any closer to a resolution. Meanwhile a warranty ticks away and I feel helpless as a customer. If there are Dell folks monitoring this forum, please make sure your customers are cared for. You are welcome to reach out. 

For folks looking into a new system be cautious. I love the system itself from an aesthetic perspective. It's fast and looks good. Keep all your correspondence with support. Document your calls. If you suspect a system is a lemon, demand a replacement within 30 days; a new replacement. Even if you start calls to them for support issues within that time frame, any support that comes thereafter may be like mine.

Hoping I am provided a solution soon. I will report back my experience.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2020 13:00

Dell never chose to respond to my posting in January. Here I am again.

More problems. The system has been going into self-diagnostics when starting and apparently now (yet again) has imminent failures. The fans for certain must be replaced. I sent the unit last week to the depot. I was told and received an email saying 5-7 days total business turnaround. I tried to explain all of the issues I have had with this computer from day 1. The response while polite from the tech was that it would continue to need to be repaired. I have never had a system with quite this many issues. When calling in today the system I am told will not arrive until Thursday afternoon nearly a week after being shipped! To add to the frustration I am told that the process will need 10-12 days for turnaround despite receiving an email where it was clear 5-7 days. The agent told me there was a change in the last few days to the process. If so, why was I not informed. As in January I will likely be without a computer for 3 weeks or more while. Once again I ask Dell to consider replacing a system that has not a scratch on it but that has had repeated failures over and over again. I also want to note that when the system last returned from the depot some of the screws where tightened too much and pushed against the bottom side of the keyboard cover. This is not acceptable support.

1 Message

October 26th, 2020 19:00

In your same boat, my graphics card gave out in less the 3 months, causing the whole motherboard to be replaced.  Hopefully everything goes well with mine this time.

1 Message

November 27th, 2020 10:00

As a customer, I am having the same problem with this laptop. Has this issue been completely resolved to your satisfaction? Thanks 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

November 28th, 2020 12:00

Hi @jm9824@Vstina@BandersonWI ) have a look at Report an Unresolved Issue, be proactive and submit this online form (and keep a copy). You should be contacted by the Dell warranty services sales team within 2 business days. If this Issue is not fixed, or they try and claim to be too busy to take corrective action, use this form again to give them a monthly Unresolved Issue update until it gets fixed. Remember to keep posting any unresolved issues in this public forum so that everyone knows that this Dell team is their saviour. 

No Events found!