Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

12 Posts

November 17th, 2020 18:00

m15 R2, help with SupportAssist

Hello, I have an Alienware M15 - R2, due to an oversight in the initial configuration, I restored the system to solve it, being in the recovery, I saw an option which allows you to download Windows and install the operating system (option on the right), and I had the option (on the left) which allowed you to install the operating system that the laptop came with.
I don't know if when using the option to download the update I had an error, since the screen turned white when transferring files from one disk to another, I could move the mouse but without accessing the desktop. I was able to log out with the task manager. Taking into account this error, I was given to restore Windows again, but now the option on the left (the one that allowed to restore the system without downloading), I get disabled and I cannot access that option, I have tried everything, until I get to believe the restore partition had been deleted, but it is not, in the disk manager the partitions are intact and with files.

SupportAsisstan, disable it to be able to use Winre, but always on restart it enters the recovery of SupportAsisstan, and the option on the left is not enabled

Now with the above, my concern is the following, how can I do to fully restore the system to how it arrived (so that the option on the right is enabled), is it or will be a SupporAsisstan problem which with the windows update leaves Part of the recovery partition, or is it because SupportAsisstan was updated and still does not access the recovery partition, because I think Windows has something wrong, certain menus give me an ugly resolution, also all the drivers are installed.

124775237_1071860859919932_839730850503455985_n.jpgunidades de disco.jpg

November 20th, 2020 11:00

hanzox5, 

Apologize for the delay in our response. There are some steps you might want to try in order to recover the operating system. 

You can try directly with Support assist recovery in case the recovery partition is available. 

Restore your system using Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery

You can restart your system > once you see the Alienhead start tapping F12 > once you see the utility set up look if Support Assist Recovery is available, our recommendation would be to have a steady internet connection and use the cloud option. 

If support assist recovery is not an option or you are having issues with the APP then a clean Windows re installation would be the way to go, over here you can check the steps:

How to Install Windows 10 - Alienware PC

Afterwards,

How to install drivers on your Alienware computer

We would strongly suggest to perform a full back up prior following up these steps. 

Hope you can find this information helpful, 

Kind regards,  

12 Posts

November 20th, 2020 18:00

Hello, thanks for your answer, but I would appreciate if you explain to me why the option on the left is disabled, since I just used download and reset and from there, I can no longer access the option of reset to factory settings, and how can I enable it again.
As I explained even though the laptop gave a white screen and I could move the mouse, I was able to get out with the task manager.
And I have this feeling that windows are somewhat strange, even in certain dialog boxes they look as if they were out of focus.
And that is what interests me, keeping the system intact, with its partitions, because to install windows with an iso from usb, I would have done that a while ago by eliminating all partitions.

Thank you for giving me your time.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 16:00

Hi @hanzox5  not sure if reinstalling SupportAssist will enable this option. If you want to try, using local admin account, delete the installed SupportAssist, Restart, go to download SupportAssist to put this in your local admin download folder, install SupportAssist with Run as administrator and Restart. Hopefully the full version of SupportAssist has been reinstated. 

(Your disaster recovery should include a clone of your C drive so that swap-in can be undertaken in minutes to get your system up and running.) 

12 Posts

November 21st, 2020 17:00

Thanks for you reply, I uninstall supportassitant, but continues disable this option,I think it is supportassistantOs recovery, starts from another place (from the bios or another place)

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 18:00

Hi @hanzox5   yes, that could be the cause. Looking at Support for Alienware m15 R2 Drivers and Downloads there is the infamous Dell BIOS v1.6.0 security update that Dell has designed to stop Reset to factory settings. Has the BIOS v1.6.0 update (and Dell Security Advisory Update - DSA-2020-059) been installed on your m15 R2? If yes, roll back to BIOS v1.5.2 should enable the SupportAssist's option to Reset to factory settings

12 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 08:00

Hi @crimsom thanks for you help, uninstall supportassistan, and with the bios 1.5.2, but the result is the same, the reset factory setting option is not enabled, by any means, pressing f12 at boot entering directly through SAOR, or winre selecting factory image restore, restart and takes me to saor and the same.

No Events found!