Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2020 13:00

m15 R3, CPU always at 4.3 GHz on Desktop

Hi,

it's me again. I was wondering why the AWCC was showing lower temps for the CPU on my system when running games than when on the desktop. So I decided to investigate.

I've noticed the CPU in my m15 R3 (i7 10750H) constantly runs at 4.3 Ghz when on the desktop. Even at "idle" i.e. doing nothing and having no applications running in the foreground. No matter which thermal profile I choose, the CPU stays at 4.3 Ghz. There is no OC profile active. This leads to temperatures of 85°c and above with basically no load on the CPU. I've checked the power plan and changed the minimum CPU speed to 50% but that changes nothing.

When running any game, the CPU can suddenly start managing its clock speed, usally going down to 3 Ghz and sometimes spiking up to 5 Ghz as per intel specs. So why does the CPU constantly stay at 4.3 Ghz while doing "typical office stuff" or "nothing"? Is this intended or can I change a setting somewhere to allow the CPU to behave the same way it does in games?

Cheers

September 17th, 2020 16:00

Did some more digging after your SpeedStep post. SpeedStep is active, as is SpeedShift. I knew what SpeedStep does, but SpeedShift was new to me. After some searching on the Intel website and their forum, I found out it seems to be responsible for the CPU behaviour I'm seeing. So I turned it off in the BIOS to test. Now, my CPU runs between 3.0 and 4.5 GHz on the desktop at a nice and cool 50°C - 55°C and an almost silent fan. Games run same as before, no performance loss. Going to learn more about SpeedShift tomorrow.

Cheers

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

September 17th, 2020 13:00

just guessing here but is speedstep disabled in bios?

No Events found!