Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2021 11:00

m15 R6, no connect to external monitors through dock

Hello,

I just purchased an Alienware m15 R6 with the RTX 3060. The laptop has a Thunderbolt 4 port on the backside which I have plugged into my USB-C dock (purchased by my company, a HP USB-C Dock G5). Everything else connected to the dock works (USB keyboard/mouse, webcam), but my external monitors (27" Samsung Odyssey G5) will not detect on the laptop. The monitors are connected to the dock through DisplayPort cables, but I also tried using the HDMI port on the dock with one of the monitors and that didn't work either.

My old laptop, a Dell Precision 3510 (about 5 years old) worked well with this same dock. 

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

September 27th, 2021 08:00

I have a solution that worked for me earlier. Spoke with one of the calmest intelligent guys from Dell Tech called Robert and this is what we did:

First, you would need to download the VBIOS and NVidia driver. They can be found here , under the video category. Please note that this link is for the Alienware m15 R6 product line. The VBIOS is the same for all M15 R6, you may, however, need to find a specific driver for the graphics card. This can be done by toggling "Show only drivers for this PC" and entering your service tag if prompted. 

Please note this is only applicable if you have BIOS version 1.4.3 or above for AW m15 R6 or 1.4.2 for Dell G15 5511 and for systems with an NVidia RTX 3060/3070/3080 card.

Drivers for Dell G15 5511 can be found here and the process is exactly the same. 

1. Run the VBIOS installation and restart
  2. Make sure you have enable the integrated graphics card by opening up your "Device manager" (right click on Windows start menu, select "Device manager") and check under "Display adapter". Intel UHD should be enabled. For this process use the laptop LCD as well, if an external monitor is used it will be using the NVidia card - you would this have no video once you uninstall the NVidia driver itself
  3. Open your "Control panel" and go to "Programs and features"
  4. Find and uninstall following: "NVIDIA Graphics Driver, NVIDIA HD Audio Driver, NVIDIA PhysX System Driver, and NVIDIA USBC Driver" and restart as necessary 
  5. Install the NVidia graphics card driver you have downloaded and restart

This should resolve the issue at hand.

Credit to Robert P
Technical Support Engineer 1, Consumer Support Services

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

October 9th, 2021 00:00

Additional/Alternate Steps from Dell-Cares:

- Install the latest vBIOS for your computer using this file 

- Once installed, go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and uninstall all Nvidia related software except for GeForce Experience.

- Restart your computer

- Open GeForce experience and install the latest driver updates again.

- Test out your monitor

2 Posts

September 16th, 2021 15:00

Hello Saxman,

I am having the same problem too. The problem is with the BIOS 1.4.3. As the BIOS on the motherboard cannot be downgraded. The only way is to swap up the motherboard which have an earlier BIOS e.g. 1.1.0 and the USB C dock to external display would work again. 

I just have my motherboard replaced yesterday and everything was working fine, until... Until I restart my computer this morning and upon restart, the computer automatically updated the BIOS again which the USB C dock to external monitor stopped working. 

This is my third motherboard replacement and the problem is not with the hardware but is with the BIOS. IT works on older BIOS version. Dell, Please issue a BIOS update to fix this issue please. 

September 17th, 2021 05:00

So a few updates: 

• I am on BIOS version 1.5.1. So it seems the problem is also present in this version, if the BIOS is truly the problem.
  • I have had discussions with two individuals from Dell support, once when I reached out on my own, and once when someone saw this post and reached out to me.
    • The first told me that they could not help me, because the dock is an HP and not a Dell dock. I guess I understand this approach, but I am 99% sure this is a problem with the Alienware laptop, as it does not happen with either of the other two laptops I have which I can test on. I may reach out to HP to see what they say, but I'm honestly expecting them to just say "it's not our laptop, so try Dell."
    • The second told me that because everything else on the dock works (the mouse/keyboard/webcam/etc), that the port is fine and there is no problem with the laptop. I don't believe this at all, since I know there's much more technology that goes into tunneling the video signals through the dock to the monitors.

I'm pretty frustrated with this situation, and expected this to work out of the box, since the Alienware port is Thunderbolt 4 capable, and should work fine with a USB-C dock as far as I know (obviously not at Thunderbolt speeds).

2 Posts

September 17th, 2021 16:00

My external monitor also stopped working over Thunderbolt when I updated the BIOS on my Alienware m15 R6 to 1.4.3. I don't recall what BIOS version it shipped with, but whatever it was didn't have this problem.

My monitor is a Samsung CJ79 series. It has a couple of Thunderbolt ports, HDMI, DisplayPort, and a couple of USB ports. I have a mouse and keyboard plugged into the USB ports. When I received my m15 a couple of months ago, everything worked fine. The monitor was connected to the laptop with a single Thunderbolt cable, and the display and other attached devices worked fine. After updating to 1.4.3, the monitor no longer works, but the devices attached to the USB ports on the back do. Connecting the monitor with a separate HDMI cable is my current workaround.

Really frustrated with the fact that I can't downgrade the BIOS back to a version that worked. I also tried getting support but was dismissed. I guess I'm stuck with the extra cable until Dell fixes the problem. I won't hold my breath though as it sounds like they have yet to even acknowledge there is a problem.

September 20th, 2021 19:00

Same exact issue.  Alienware M15 R6 using a Thunderbolt 4 to an Anker  PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock Station.  All the ports work except for the HDMI.  However this Dock Station works perfectly with my other two computers. Please notify me when this is fixed. 

September 21st, 2021 07:00

Just installed all of those, nothing changed.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 21st, 2021 07:00

Sorry about the issues you guys are having. I will ask if Chris has any news on this type of issue and the possible fix that could allow Type C to work back on the laptop again. Have you guys at least tried reinstalling the Type C driver? 

Actually try to install all of these?

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver | Driver Details | Dell US

Intel Chipset Device Software | Driver Details | Dell US

Intel HID Event Filter Driver | Driver Details | Dell US

Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver | Driver Details | Dell US

September 21st, 2021 21:00

Installed the first 3 and it didn't fix the problem.   The fourth one wouldn't install because I already had a newer version already installed. Here's what was in the log:

There is a previous driver, comparing versions.
Installed driver version = 1.41.1094.0
Installation driver version = 1.41.1030.0
Installed driver version is higher than In

I'm pretty sure the new driver is not the issue, because I located and found the latest driver to try to fix my HDMI doc issue.

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2021 19:00

Hello i am having the same issue as everyone else. i have purchased an M15 R6 with 3070 GPU.

I have 2 x Asus tuf gaming VG328H 32" full HD monitors. when trying to connect through a dock it allows Ethernet, sound, key bored, mouse and power connections but will not display on the monitors.

the port obviously works but i can not get display. i have run a HDMI cable from the computer to each screen individually to make sure the screens are working and they are and displaying fine from computer to monitor via HDMI. When using a USB-C thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable bypassing a dock entirely i still can not get any display on the monitors so the dock is fine and the cable was brand new. is there a setting that needs to change to allow display output via the USB-C ?

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2021 10:00

i'm also having this issue, hope they can fix it soon, yes yes i've tried everything, even restoring the system to factory, still same issue, it seems since last to BIOS updates is bricked... hope it can be fixed soon

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 24th, 2021 07:00

I have some Terrible News.

The Version of the BIOS for the M15 R6 Messes up the Type C so It can't display anything but everything else will work. Also If you haven't installed the latest version DONT. Also the reason why is because it locks the BIOS and you can't downgrade it incase an issue such as this one occurs.

September 24th, 2021 08:00

So is it possible for Dell to work on an update to the BIOS so that it works again? Why would they want to keep it this way, since it basically ruins the function of the port? Yeah, we can't go to a previous version (which is really dumb), but is there a reason Dell can't put out an update that fixes it?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

Is there also a mini displayport connector on the laptop? That supports daisy chaining so you can use multiple monitors.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

They seem to plan on releasing a new version but I don't know the Update on how long it will take. I just think we have to wait over here.

No Events found!