Highlighted
Lorrisek
1 Nickel

m15, downgrade from BIOS 2.0.4?

Jump to solution

I've updated my bios on my m15 to the latest version 2.0.4, however, the custom thermal profiles stopped working and the fans are now always on, even tho the system is at around 40 degrees in quiet mode. Unless there is a fix coming, I'd like to go back to the 1.4.1 where the custom profiles worked, as now the laptop is very noisy and not very usable in quiet environments. However, when trying to install the older version, it says that downgrade is not allowed. Is there a workaround how to downgrade the bios or any other way of making custom thermal profiles work again?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lorrisek
1 Nickel

Re: m15 downgrade from BIOS 2.0.4

Jump to solution

So I've managed to downgrade it using the BIOS Recovery. One of the admin gave me these steps, I was trying to do it before, but couldn't get it to work. This time, I had secure boot in bios disabled, don't know if that helped but pretty much follow this and in the recovery screen, select BIOS Rollback and that will flash the previous version you had installed.

How to Initiate BIOS Recovery

1. Verify that the device is powered OFF and disconnect the AC adapter or power source.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard (Ensure primary Battery is 30% charge)
  3. Plug in the AC adapter or power source to the device.
  4. Release the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard.
  5. Select Rollback BIOS in the BIOS Recovery and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.
0 Kudos
20 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi, 

We are sorry to hear about these issues. Please send us a private message with your Service Tag number, so we can look further into this. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Neowaldrich
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same issue. Could you post the solution here? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Lorrisek
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So I've managed to downgrade it using the BIOS Recovery. One of the admin gave me these steps, I was trying to do it before, but couldn't get it to work. This time, I had secure boot in bios disabled, don't know if that helped but pretty much follow this and in the recovery screen, select BIOS Rollback and that will flash the previous version you had installed.

How to Initiate BIOS Recovery

1. Verify that the device is powered OFF and disconnect the AC adapter or power source.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard (Ensure primary Battery is 30% charge)
  3. Plug in the AC adapter or power source to the device.
  4. Release the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard.
  5. Select Rollback BIOS in the BIOS Recovery and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.
0 Kudos
Neowaldrich
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Lorrisek, THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! You saved my day! That worked perfectly!

Hope Dell release one BIOS version that allows users to control their fans (at least, once you should undervolt, overclock a GAMER PC)... it makes no sense they just change the fan RPM curve mandatory in a machine that supposedly is for advanced users.  

0 Kudos
Kleiner Iltis
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Same Problem for me, I can´t go to the new BIOS! Looking forward for a fix, I nearly never play with this notebook. I use it for work, for this it is important to have a quiet notebook.
0 Kudos
arncota
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had to downgrade to 1.4.1, but now I have my fan control and silence back 🙂

0 Kudos
JohnnyRamone
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this Information! Finally it is possible to work again on the m15 without the constant noise from the fans. It is also possible to just download the 1.4.1 bios exe an then to flash back. There will be a note that dell does not recommend the downgrade to an older bios version but it does work. And i got my silence back too! I hope there will be an update from dell to fix this noise issue on the new bios versions. 

0 Kudos
Lorrisek
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes, if your laptop is running a BIOS version lower than 2.0.4 you can downgrade by just downloading and running the .eve file from dell support website, however, if your laptop is running a BIOS 2.0.4 or higher this option is blocked and you have to downgrade following the steps above 🙂

0 Kudos
JohnnyRamone
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Ah, ok. On my m15 there was the bios version 1.6.2. But i had the same noise-problem you described. So im happy that it was possible to downgrade again to 1.4.1 so easy. I wont upgrade the bios till Dell solved this noise-problem because i do not only play with the m15, it is also my pc for work.
0 Kudos