Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AF

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 14:00

m17 R2, speaker and trackpad issues

After a really difficult process with the ordering process for my laptop, I received my brand new m17 R2. Was super happy to start loading all the games I had in my backlog!

Unfortunately, I've realized it has two issues:

1.  Both speakers a buzzing/crackling noise at certain frequencies (e.g. the Windows asterisk sound). This seems to be a hardware issue because it doesn't arise with headphones. I have updated all drivers/BIOS/diagnostics (and Dell has also done the same).

2.  The trackpad feels a bit 'loose'. Even when I press it very lightly, I feel like the trackpad surface rocks up and down.

Just wanted to see if anyone has encountered these issue? Dell is arranging for a technician to come in, but just seeing if anyone has had experience with this.

Thanks very much.

1 Message

January 24th, 2020 09:00

Hi, I too have the really annoying 'buzzing' from both speakers. I note that squeezing the case at either of the 2 front screws solves the issue for that particular speaker but the screws are already very tight so there seems no easy fix. Every single Dell product I buy is faulty - no exceptions.

1 Message

January 25th, 2020 19:00

I’m experiencing this issue as well , particularly with the windows exclamation chime. The buzzing is less pronounced or noticeable for regular music and video playback. Pressure to the corner screws also seems to reduce the excess vibrations and buzzing but as you describe tightening screws would only strip them. I’m wondering if it is a defect or more of a quirk of the model....maybe if more people chime in it might be a little clearer? 

January 30th, 2020 04:00

The Dell technician came to replace the speaker.  

Unfortunately, the issue is not fixed.   I've taken a video to illustrate: https://youtu.be/MNCtgqyQ33A

Afterwards, Dell has suggested more driver updates and testing in 'safe mode'.  This did not help either.  Also, it is clearly a hardware issue - especially since the issue disappears when I use headphones!

Can anyone help?  Based on responses, it seems like this is an issue encountered by others.

Thanks!

3 Posts

January 30th, 2020 14:00

i have the same issues with my m17r2, loose trackpad and crackling left speaker.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 15:00

Is there any solution about this? what did guys from dell tell you when you presented the issue? did they solve it?

1 Message

February 8th, 2020 14:00

Same issues here - Left speaker "crackles" at higher volumes and the trackpad has some movement to it.  These are some pretty trivial but terrible issues for a $2000+ laptop...

February 24th, 2020 00:00

Still trying ...

Dell technicians replaced speakers twice, but no difference.

Same issue even when I lower the volume.

Now they're going to replace the soundcard.

Does anyone have an Alienware m17r2 with no problems with their speaker???

1 Message

March 6th, 2020 04:00

From a professional perspective, the problem you have is that the excess standing waves emitted when the two speakers emit sounds cause the resonance of the c-panel and the d-panel. The touchpad is not loose. The loud speakers will be loud because the standing waves are not processed. Well, the factory did not do a good job of reducing the volume of the large speakers. Other notebook speakers are not as large as those on the Alienware, so this problem is not obvious, and replacing the speakers may not necessarily solve it, because the large speakers require space. Think of this sound as a compromise for thinness.

4 Posts

May 16th, 2020 04:00

I have same problem.

No Events found!