Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 4th, 2022 06:00

x17 R1, switch to AHCI and load Windows 10, how to do it?

Hello,

I just purchased an Alienware x17 R1 via Dell Outlet. It came with two 2 TB SSDs installed in a RAID configuration, and loaded with Windows 11 Home.  What I want to do is change from RAID to AHCI (I would prefer the SSDs be separate and not combined as a RAID, I’d rather have the OS on one of the drives, not striped onto both) and load Windows 10 Pro. I have a DVD with Windows 10 Pro to install. I entered the BIOS and changed to AHCI and disabled Secure Boot. That allowed the computer to boot from the DVD drive, but when I tried to install Windows 10 it wouldn’t allow it? There are a number of partitions on the drive and although the partitions can be removed, there doesn’t seem to be an option on the Windows 10 Pro install to reformat the drives prior to install, which is what I really want.  When I tried to install Windows 10 Pro from the disk onto the largest partition, it wouldn’t allow it. 

I believe I could simply boot into Windows 11 Home and then run the install program on the DVD, but the problem there is that if I do so, I believe I would still be in RAID mode, which I don’t want.

Any assistance in helping me get to “where I want to be” (AHCI with Windows 10 Pro) would be greatly appreciated! 

I want Windows 10 Pro because =
a) I want the Pro features
b) I want to install the OS with a local account (not have to log into Microsoft). 

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 4th, 2022 10:00

Thanks much!  What I have now is one large 4TB drive (two separate 2TB drives RAIDed).  These are the following partitions:

200 MB EFI System Partition (1)

3799.52 GB NTFS Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic Data Partition (OS C:/)

990 MB Recovery Partition (4)

13.27 GB Recovery Partition (5)

1.37 GB Recovery Partition (6)

I have a few Dell Precisions (7740, 7750, and 7760) which I believe came in RAID mode.  Changing to AHCI was simple, just do the “advanced boot” or whatever it was to have the computer come up in Safe Mode, then reboot, F2, change to AHCI, save and reboot into Safe Mode, then reboot into normal mode and you’re done.  That procedure won’t work for this machine, apparently because there are two drives and the RAID is striped across them.  Bitlocker (enabled) complicated the issue but I was able to turn that off. 

I am going to take some time to contemplate my options and figure out where I want to go with this.  I really don’t like the RAID configuration but I guess I could live with it.  What I really don’t like is Windows 11.  Another option I’m considering is downgrading to Windows 10 Home (although if I’m going to reinstall the OS, why not change to AHCI mode while I’m at it…).  Then, presumably, I could upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (already have the license key). 

I appreciate the heads up about the potential warranty issues.  With the Precisions, Dell is typically very cool as far as modifications.  However, I understand that’s the Business side and not the Home side.  Another option that I am considering is purchasing or using a 1TB drive for the OS and a 2TB drive for storage and simply swap out the drives and then do a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.  This would allow me to keep the existing drives for warranty purpose if a problem ever arose.  All I’d have to do is change the BIOS settings back to RAID. 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

June 4th, 2022 06:00

Considerations before beginning:

1.  Check the current configuration.  Are these two separate drives in IRST/RAID mode (i.e., 2 2T partitions), or one large 4T partition.  If the second,

2.  You'll need to break the array and repartition into two separate drives/partitions.  This needs to be done at the setup (F2 at powerup) level.

3.  Any distribution of Windows 10 old enough to have been pressed onto a DVD probably isn't current.  Consider making a new install flash drive using the Microsoft Media Creation tool.  You can use your Windows 10 Pro license key when installing.

4.  If you leave the system in IRST/RAID mode (even with two separate drives) you will also need the Intel IRST install mode driver in order to have the Windows installer see the drive.  Otherwise, you can switch the system over to AHCI mode (RAID or IRST OFF in setup).  If in AHCI mode, you won't need the F6 driver.

5.  Make 100% sure the system works correctly before beginning, as you will face a battle with Dell support if you require assistance.  They can require you return the as-shipped OS before any assistance will be rendered.  

Consider making a full system image to an external hard drive AND a set of recovery media with a tool like Macrium Reflect (the free edition will do the job just fine) before you begin.  That way if you need support you can revert to the factory OS and configuration -- which, as mentioned, you will be required to do as part of any troubleshooting you need when you're under warranty.

82 Posts

June 4th, 2022 13:00

Hello @The84Lion , here is a guide to change from Raid to AHCI without the need to reinstall Windows 11:

Solved: x15 R2, change from BIOS RAID to AHCI - Dell Community

Regards.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

June 4th, 2022 14:00

While it's possible to change RAID to AHCI as indicated, it isn't where the need to break the RAID array to separate the drives is concerned.  Doing so will mean losing the entire contents of the drives that are as shipped.  And while keeping the drives with an eye toward reinstalling them in the future is practical for single drive configurations, it isn't here -- it's unlikely you would be able to reinstall them, re-enable RAID and have a working system (or perhaps better said, don't count on doing that and ending up with an as-shipped configuration).

If you have the space to store an image of the existing configuration, you can also image the existing drive layout and then reloading that to a single drive (it's by far unlikely the factory partitions add up to  anywhere near 1T, much less 2 or 4 T in size).

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 4th, 2022 22:00

Hi @The84Lion welcome to this free user to user Alienware laptop discussion forum. This is not Dell Support. 

Intel recommends keeping the BIOS RAID option, because it also includes AHCI. 

Clone (copy) the Windows 11 OS(C:) RAID boot drive to a single boot drive using Macrium Reflect Free is the usual process to move away from RAID. Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition This retains the RAID drives intact should there be Dell warranty problems. You will need an external M.2 drive enclosure. The x17 R1 has a PCIe Gen4.0 NVMe drive slot for the new single OS(C:) boot drive. Check that the new single boot drive partition format is GPT so that BIOS boot list option UEFI can be enabled. 

No Events found!