Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2014 06:00

rm have rmcli, appsync have what?

Hi,

I used Replication manager, and for some automation ( running jobs from scripts ) I used rmcli.bat.

Now we considering migration to Appsync and I need to run some things from cli. Is there something similar?

Regards

December 12th, 2014 10:00

AppSync 2.1...due out later this month...will have an "AppSync CLI" functionality potion to it.

The AppSync CLI will not have everthing that RMCLI has had built into it over the years, but the AppSync CLI will include the following commnads:

login/logout

enable/disableSP

subscribe/unsubscribe     (to a Service Plan)

runSP

listCopies

copydetails     (displays details of a copy)

mount/unmount

report               (run a given appsync report and outputs to a CSV file)

I assume that additional info will be available in the AppSync 2.1 docs when the product has gone GA.

24 Posts

December 15th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

currently I use rmcli for running jobs ( we have automated creation of oracle databases for some batch purposes, we need to create replica, mount it, unmount it and delete replica ), and would like to have the same with AppSync.

Regards

24 Posts

December 18th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

more questions:

- repurposing: In "EMC AppSync 2.0.0 User and Administration Guide" is stated that there can be several generations of snaps from snap.

Let say that we have prod database and make gen1 snap. We mount this snap and open database and make some changes on this

database. Then we would like to create several gen2 snaps from this gen1 snap. Is this possible? In before mentioned guide there isn't

mentioned that gen1 snap is mounted, only gen2 copies are meant to be mounted.

- vnx snaps: there is a possibility to create snap from snap. But how can we promote any of those snaps to clone ( full disk size copy)?

Are there vnxclones or something similar?

Regards

24 Posts

December 18th, 2014 05:00

and what is a:

Storage Ordered Preference:

Snapshot, Clone & Bookmark

Snapshot is snapshot, bookmark is maybe RP bookmark, and clone is what? Is there vnxclone beside vnxsnapshot?

December 18th, 2014 12:00

Engineering has replied with:

You can use AppSync 2.1 CLI to run job as well, but because of the workflow in RM and AppSync is quite different, there are a few one-time pre-requisites:

1.       1) Once database is created, database must be discovered in AppSync via UI

2.       2) Service plan must be pre-configured to run mount, unmounts, and pre-post scripts for mount/unmounts phases.

3.       3) Rotation of the Service plan should be set to desire value.

Then, you can use AppSync CLI to do the following:

1.       1) Subscribe the database to the Service Plan you have set up in step2.

2.       2) Run the service plan.

3.       3) The service plan rotation will expire the copy automatically once the threshold is met.

For your other questions below, I will forward them on to eng as well.

December 18th, 2014 12:00

Eng answer to last qestion from Tomislak_ECN is:

It is the order that AppSync would try to create a replica for your application. For instance, if the database resides on VNX and being protected by RP. The Storage Order Preference will determine how AppSync will create a replica, in this case, you have 2 options, 1. Create a VNX Snap shot, or 2. RP Bookmar.  If It is set to Snapshot, Clone & Bookmark, AppSync will attempt to create VNX Snapshot first.

Clone is another kind of copy for VMAX.

24 Posts

December 18th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

thanks for those. But what with post #3?

Can we mount and change Gen1 copy and make Gen2 copies from it?

And how can we "promote" this Gen1 copy to full disk copy?

Regards

December 23rd, 2014 12:00

So many questions are being covered by this thread, I'm starting to get confused!

This is the latest response from engineering, and I hope it helps clear up your questions:

When you make a 1st generation snap copy, you may mount it to make changes.  When you make 2nd gen copies of the 1st gen copy, it makes a snap of the snap, so whatever the 1st gen copy looks like, the 2nd gen will be identical.  Note that you cannot snap a snap if the 1st gen snap  is still mounted.

If its not clear, maybe a new thread can be started for your latest question so there isn't any overlapping answers.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 11th, 2015 23:00

Besides CLI, AppSync has a rich set of REST API's which can be consumed by any REST Client. Infact all of AppSync UI functionality uses REST API's.

No Events found!