Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2010 23:00

Can I control the lifecycle of object in Atmos

I am a newbie in Atmos,  and I have several questions about retention.

1.  It's unclear to me how long my object will be kept in Atmos,  will it not be deleted before I delete it explicitly?

2.  Can I control the object's lifecycle by set some meta when I create it? For example, if I want to keep my object for 1 month,  can I set some metadata when I create it and it will be deleted automatically 1 month later?

222 Posts

August 25th, 2010 06:00

Gonzalez,

Your object will be kept in Atmos until you delete it or it is deleted by a policy configured through the Atmos management user interface.  Most of our service provider partners who host an Atmos-based public cloud are unlikely to implement a delete policy --- that's only likely where Atmos is deployed on-premise in a customer's datacenter. 

Yes, metadata can be used to determine the storage policies applied to an object.  You will need a corresponding policy to be created in Atmos that manages the object based on a given metadata value. 

Raj

6 Posts

August 25th, 2010 08:00

Hi Raj,

Should you describe how to create a policy in more details? I am using Atmos Online, and I can log on the management page(https://mgmt.atmosonline.com/), but I don't find any operation related to create a policy. Do I have to connect Atmos Online support if I want to create a policy? If I can create one in this page,  could you tell me how to do it?

Thanks a lot.

222 Posts

August 30th, 2010 07:00

Gonzalez,

Sorry, I was describing the systems management portion of Atmos that allows admins to define policies.  This is generally targeted at storage administrators of the Atmos system rather than end-user developers and customers.

This policy management mechanism isn't exposed to the outside world in reference to public cloud services such as our development platform Atmos Online or our service provider partners.

The only interface exposed is the data path:  the RESTful web service that allows objects to be created, deleted, etc.

Raj

No Events found!