Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2009 13:00

Copying/Moving Objects Within Atmos onLine

Hello,

If I've created an object on Maui, is it possible to copy or move the object to another object without having to read it out and write it back in over the network? Another way to ask it is if an application can 'rename' an object, especially by assigning a new "name" in the Atmos namespace.

thanks,

Navneeth

49 Posts

May 15th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for all your great questions, Navneeth. We're working on answers...

29 Posts

June 6th, 2009 18:00

Hi Leo,

Is there any more information available on this question?

thanks,

Navneeth

16 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 12:00

Navneeth,

Currently there are no "copy" or "rename" functions within the Atmos system. The application would need to retrieve the object and then recreate the object on the system with a new name. If it's a "rename", then the original object would have to be deleted.

I can see that for large objects, this can be somewhat cumbersone due to the time to retrieve and then recreate the object. It would be interesting to hear if there are other use cases where having these types of functions would be beneficial.

Regards,

Dave

14 Posts

July 14th, 2009 07:00

I would be interested in that functionality too.

It would allow a file system to be directly mounted on top of Atmos. Especially if you want Windows Explorer to use this file system, since it creates files/folders with fixed names ("New Folder", "New Text Dcument.txt", ...) and then the user has to rename them to whatever they need.

Regards,

Luis

40 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 07:00

David,

The product I'm working could also benefit from a copy coperation.  We are basically implementing our own file system above Atmos.  Let me know if you need more details on how we plan to use this feature.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2009 18:00

I would like also to join others and say that lack of ability rename files is very cumbersome.

For example Amazon S3 have it.

No Events found!