Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2014 08:00

Does Atmos 2.1.6 allow retention periods to be reduced?

Release 2.1 used to allow the value of user.maui.retentionEnd metadata attribute to be updated via the REST API to any arbitrary date, including a date that is nearer the present. In this way, it was possible to reduce the default retention period applied by a policy. My experiments with a 2.1.6 server seem to indicate that this is no longer possible. Can you confirm this? Or is there a configuration option or perhaps some sequence of API calls that I haven't discovered yet that will allow the 2.1 behavior?

16 Posts

May 14th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

The Atmos 2.1.6 administrators guide (downloadable from support.emc.com) advises the following on page 34 under the compliance section:

◆ Retention periods cannot be shortened through the user.maui.retentionEnd property.

Does this answer your question?

9 Posts

May 14th, 2014 09:00

Possibly (probably). I saw a similar statement in the Atmos 2.1.6 Programmer's Guide, but because this is a significant issue to us, I just wanted to get a definitive confirmation from someone at EMC that retention reduction is absolutely not allowed in release 2.1.6 or later - i.e. that there is no configuration option that I haven't yet discovered that would allow the old behavior.

16 Posts

May 15th, 2014 08:00

I have checked the 2.1.5, 2.1.6 & 2.1.7 Administrators guide for you and they all say that shortening the period through the user.maui.retentionEnd property is not allowed.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that this will never change in the future but at the moment shortening the period through the user.maui.retentionEnd is not supported on Atmos codes 2.1.5, 2.1.6 & 2.1.7.

2.1.6 Programmers Guide:

A retention period is a period during which the data cannot be modified.

Object retention is controlled by policies, and the default retention period, unless specified differently in

the policy specification, is 0 seconds.

◆ user.maui.retentionEnable— Of type string ("true" or "false")

◆ user.maui.retentionEnd— Of type xsd:dateTime (for example, 2008-04-16T10:00:00Z)

You can get/set these attributes through either the file-system interface (the

getfattr/setattr examples shown below) or the object interface (GetUserMetadata

/SetUserMetadata).

You can use user.maui.retentionEnd to lengthen the retention period, but you cannot use

it shorten it or set it to a time in the past.

9 Posts

May 15th, 2014 09:00

Michael,

Thank you very much for your timely and informative reply.

-Eric

No Events found!