Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2009 22:00

What criteria should I use to decide which kind of applications should use ATMOS ?

It would be informative if i could get some information on what kind of applications should use ATMOS and why ?

40 Posts

October 7th, 2009 11:00

This should be an interesting thread....

Atmos (an all cloud providers) basically provides unlimited capacity accessible anywhere the Internet reaches, which is great.  The downside is that you access the data at the speed and reliability of your Internet connection.  So, your applications can be mobile or have geographically separate instances accessing the shared data in the cloud.  But you applications and users must be able to tolerate delayed access to the data in the event of Internet and/or Atmos downtime.  Additionally, you are trusting you data to an outside party and the Internet in general, so security is a concern.  You probably would not want to use Atmos as the storage for an airline ticketing database, but backup and web applications are common use cases.

12 Posts

October 8th, 2009 03:00

Thanks a lot for the info ...

Do u think ATMOS would perform better when there is greater reads and less writes to the application ?

Thanks..

40 Posts

October 8th, 2009 06:00

I have not benchmarked Atmos performance yet.  That will have to wait until the beta period is complete.  I suspect that any internal difference in atmos read versus write performance will be eclipsed by the latency of the network you are using to access the service.  Even if you are running a local atmos, the network latency should still be significantly larger than any latency Atmos generates internally.  I don't know the atmos internals.  This is just based on my years of experience building storarge arrays.  So, I exect little performane difference between reads and writes.
No Events found!