Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 20th, 2012 08:00

Avamar 6.1 proxy

Hello all,

have already anyone of you setup flr for Avamar 6.1 proxy??

After registration process, proxy asks to "Enter the Avamar server software (GSAN) root password" I suppose it asks for avamar root password which is by default 8RttotTriz, but it doesn't work to me, I have also tried another users but no progress.

Thanks

regards

Lukas

143 Posts

July 20th, 2012 09:00

You need to use the same password that you would use to login to the Avamar GUI as root.

173 Posts

I have already tried for sure, but it needs password for user which will mount axion from avamar server to proxy. I’m able to do it manually, using my samba user, but configuration script fails.

Check release notes, lot of nice features.

Regards

Lukas

53 Posts

Try it with: avam@r

its work with proxy version 6.0...

do you know, what are the new features in version 6,1?

July 24th, 2012 09:00

Avamar Server software root password : 8RttoTriz

173 Posts

July 25th, 2012 04:00

I have tried this password and it is correct, we finally solved he issue with support, it is necessary to put it manually to configuration script.

Thanks

Regards

Lukas

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2012 05:00

Could you share exactly what you and support did. We are doing a install for a POC and are having the VERY same problem.

Thanks

DD

143 Posts

July 26th, 2012 06:00

ianderson wrote:

In Avamar 6.1, plaintext passwords are encrypted on first access.

Whew!  That was close.  Thank goodness.

2K Posts

In Avamar 6.1, plaintext passwords are encrypted on first access.

143 Posts

Please tell me the software root password isn't stored in clear text on every proxy.  Combined with the fact that I'm sure few customers change the default root password on the proxies this is a penetration tester's dream!  That would really take the cake

173 Posts

You are right, don’t forget to restart axionfs and vmwareflr services, or whole proxy.

Regards

Lukas

2K Posts

If this is the issue I suspect it is, the workaround is to log into the proxy and manually edit the --password flag in the following file:

/usr/local/avamar/var/axionfs.cmd

There is an issue in the password change code that prevents the software from correctly changing the password flag if it is blank. The permanent fix has been checked into the 6.1 SP1 branch.

2K Posts

October 1st, 2012 09:00

After discussing this with the proxy developers, I've been informed that the 6.1 proxy is the only place where this encryption was not used.

Hotfix 40843 resolves this issue and is available now. It is likely that a security advisory will be released. I would recommend contacting support for assistance installing hotfix 40843.

Edit: Removed advice on changing proxy root password.

2 Posts

September 29th, 2015 02:00

Hello All,

In our environment, I am facing the same issue. When trying to re-register a proxy it asks for the GSAN root password.

The password is not default 8RttoTriz , however I am providing the correct one. But the registration fails with error:

axionfs Info: Stopping Axionfs /mnt/axion...
axionfs Info: Axionfs stopped.
fusermount: /mnt/axion not mounted
axionfs Info: Could not unload fuse module.
axionfs Info: Axionfs startup failed; check axionfs log file.

Attempting to connect to the Avamar server.

Invalid password. Please try again.
Enter the Avamar server software (GSAN) root password:

I have already checked the /usr/local/avamar/var/axionfs.cmd file entry and it is the same root password as I enter.

Also, restarted the axionfs services but no help.

proxy version 6.1.100-402

Avamar server version : 7.0.1-61

Any one have any idea or is there any hotfix for this ?

No Events found!