Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2013 08:00

Avamar 7.0 fatal error when f_cache reaches 2GB

Good morning,

I have a support case open that hasn't hit their bug database yet, so I wanted to see if anyone else has hit this.  On the Avamar 7 basic clients for AIX, Solaris, and Linux, I have consistently hit the following issue when the f_cache2.dat file reaches 2GB in size:

2013-12-09 18:00:03 avtar Info <8650>: Opening cache file /usr/local/avamar/var/f_cache2.dat 
2013-12-09 18:00:03 avtar FATAL <5351>: MAIN: Unhandled internal exception Unix exception Value too large to be stored in data type 

I have verified that my ulimits are set to unlimited as well.  Has anyone else run across this?

February 24th, 2014 08:00

EMC has admitted that this is a bug.  They have a beta executable that I am testing right now.  This client seems to have worked for someone else, so they are making sure that it will work here.  It did not make the Avamar 7.0SP1 release, but I will find out if it will make it into 7.1.

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

December 10th, 2013 22:00

Hey Blake,

I have found some f_cache2.dat related information for your reference.

File cache management is implemented by using pages from f_cache2.dat. The avtar process loads pages, as needed, from f_cache2.dat into RAM instead of the entire file.

The original file cache implementation uses approximately 1 GB of disk space and 1 GB of RAM to track approximately 10 million files when avtar is running. This method imposes limits on the maximum size of file systems that Avamar can back up. Demand-paging cache removes this size limitation.

For more information, please refer to CHAPTER 7 Tuning Performance of Avamar 7.0 Operational Best Practices on page 52.

Hope this can help to you!

December 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi Leo,

I just reviewed that chapter, and it stated that the file could go up to 20GB in size based on the size and quantity of backups that it caches.  What is strange is that when it reaches 2GB, the Avamar Server gives a fatal error when trying to open the file saying that it's too large.  I am really thinking that it is a bug in 7.0, but so far, Support doesn't have it in its defect database.  They have it in peer review and I should hear back from them soon.  I posted here to see if anyone else has f_cache2.dat files over 2GB and are getting successful backups.

I would love for the fix to be as simple as adjusting a client attribute option.

No Events found!