Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2011 07:00

Avamar ConnectEMC Notification Email

Every day I get a NDR for a message Subject: Avamar ConnectEMC Notification Email, sent to emailalert@emc.com.

I do I configure whatever process is sending this message?

It is not from the Email Home profile - I already checked that.

January 14th, 2011 00:00

I'm going to copy an extract from a colleague's support solution which is waiting to be published (esg115128).  The final support solution may be slightly different but as it is this should help you move forwards..

Facts

Avamar 5.x

ConnectEMC

Symptoms

Avamar grid was recently upgraded from version 4.x to version 5.x.

ConnectEMC was configured for server notifications.

After ConnectEMC was enabled the email sent to EMC was returned, Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
      Subject:   Avamar ConnectEMC Notification Email
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
      emailalert@emc.com on 7/16/2010 6:00 AM
             This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's  mailbox is full.  Create a shorter message body or remove attachments  and try sending it again.

The email is only actually 105KB, small enough to be recieved by the ConnectEMC email account.

Unchecked 'System - GSAN Perf Stats' for the ConnectEMC profile, but still failing to send.

Cause

ConnectEMC compresses and tries to send the /usr/local/avamar/var directory when the notification is sent out.

There are several files in the /usr/local/avamar/var/cron directory that may be very large.

Such as:

replicate.log

hfscheck.log

cp.log

gc.log

These files can become quite large over time when the server used to be running version 4.x.

The replicate.log is likely to be the largest as this file does not truncate or begin a new log after time or size.

The files are too large to be sent via ConnectEMC.

If the replicate.log is not the root cause it may be necessary to  check the /opt/connectemc directory as there may be tmp files present  used for send email attempts.

Resolution

Logging for hfscheck, gc and cp are now done via the gsan, so these logs are no longer necessary.

The replicate.log needs to be moved and started over.

To preserve the log run the following commands:

> tar -cvf replicate.tar replicate.log

> gzip replicate.tar.gz

Move to a different location

> mv replicate.tar.gz /home/admin (example, can be moved anywhere but/usr/local/avamar/var)

Zero out the file, type:  > replicate.log (greater than sign and the log name)

ConnectEMC will now send with no problems.

January 13th, 2011 08:00

The connectEMC Notification Email uses the mail configuration settings in the file

/usr/local/avamar/var/mc/server_data/prefs/#: vi mcserver.xml

in this file you will find this setting:

In the line sender@youremaildomain.com "

In the line , replace smtpHost with your email server IP address or email server name.

save the file and restart the mcs service.

This should get the connectEMC messages on the go.

January 13th, 2011 09:00

Thanks.

That file is configured correctly.

The problem is that the email delivery is failing because the message is too large to send.  I need a way to cancel it, or reduce the size of the message.

January 14th, 2011 08:00

That was it.

Replicate.log was very large.

John Crouch

Information Technology Group

Blount, Inc.

503 653 4745

No Events found!