Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2015 07:00

Avamar - Restore SQL backup to different server.

I have a production server with SQL.  I would like to take a backup of SQL on production server and copy to DEV server.  When I try to restore/backup SQL from PROD to DEV server it fails instantly. New to Avamar so if I can get pointed to a knowledge document on how to restore SQL on another server that would be great.

avsql Error <14312>:  Initializing File groups - File "(local)/master/masterlog' not found in selected backup

avsql Error <14312>:  Initializing File groups - File '(local)/master/master' not found in selected backup

March 30th, 2016 16:00

did you resolve it?

226 Posts

April 4th, 2016 20:00

Hi dirkbucket,

What is the option that you have selected for the restore. You need to use the SQL Plug-in option for restore and also NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account should have sysadmin privileges on both SQL Servers.

you can also restore it as files on the same server and then copy and Import it on the DR SQL server.

2 Posts

July 7th, 2016 07:00

We are trying to do this same thing.  Were you able to get it to work?

We need to schedule this to run every Sunday night.

We were going to try a avsql command script.

2K Posts

July 7th, 2016 10:00

The original post is over a year old so I don't know if you'll get a reply. You can always use mccli to initiate a redirected restore. For example:

mccli backup restore --domain=/clients --name=prod --labelnum=27 --dest-client-domain=/clients --dest-client-name=dev --plugin=3006

This may also be possible using avsql. The options are documented in the guide:

https://support.emc.com/docu59589_Avamar-7.2-for-SQL-Server-User-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

--path specifies the path on the Avamar system that you will be restoring from (e.g. --path=/clients/prod). You will also need to specify --id and --password. Depending on the configuration of the SQL server you might also need some or all of the following options:

--hostname-sql

--ntorsqlauth

--sqllogin

--sqlpassword

--sqlserver

If you run into trouble, please don't hesitate to follow up.

No Events found!