Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 6th, 2017 14:00

Avamar VMware image restore sequence of events?

There's a great discussion here about the Avamar VMware image backup sequence of events - does anyone have similar info with respect to the sequence of events during an Avamar VMware image restore?

Working with a customer on "restore performance" issues, and I don't have a clear understanding of how the data gets "from the proxy" to the VMDK files for the VM. I know that during the backup process, after the VM snapshot, the VMDK files get mounted with hotadd to the proxy - but I'm not sure of the specifics as to whether something similar happens during the data restore (e.g. if one was restoring to a new VM, the VMDKs would need to be created first before getting mounted - so would the proxy just funnel data from its network interface to its mounted disks?).

FWIW, the performance issues tie in to making sure that the customer DR procedures conform to their standards, and right now, they aren't happy with the VM restore numbers. Will be discussing other options with them as well (instant access, and Recoverpoint - although there may be some reservations about RP by some of the staff, why, I'm not sure), but wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything w.r.t. the VM image restore performance.

All comments/feedback appreciated - thanks.

June 9th, 2017 03:00

Hey,

Good question. While restoring to original VM, first proxy will be assigned to perform the restore.

Then it creates a snapshot of the original VM to capture its current state, restores the data to original VM, reverts the snapshot after the restore is completed and finally removes the snapshot.

I never paid attention what is the sequence of events when we perform restore to new VM but I will check it this time and will update here.

For performance, there are few things you can do -

1. Use CBT option enabled

2. If possible, try to restore when server is free. During maintenance window, once GC, Checkpoint creation and HFScheck is completed, server will be free and you will see faster restore.

Regards,

Pawan

June 16th, 2017 02:00

Hey,

I was doing VM restore as a New VM today and noticed that -

1. After proxy is assigned to restore job, first of all VM will appear on VC

2. A VM task occures as - "Reconfigure Virtual Machine"

3. Next it creates the snapshot

4. After restore is completed, it reverts the snapshot.

5. Finally it removes the snapshot.

Nowhere snapshot was mounted on proxy.

Regards,

Pawan

No Events found!