Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2015 09:00

Can Avamar run on a virtual grid and if so, how does it work?

I have a customer that I support interested in bringing up a new grid and he is asking if it is possible to bring up a virtual grid and is there any limitations that would prevent that being an option?

355 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 23:00

Hi,

What exactly you are referring when you say - Virtual Grid ? Are you referring some other storage box and installing Avamar on that ?

You can use Avamar Virtual Edition (AVE), which is a single-node non-RAIN (Redundant Array of

Independent Nodes) Avamar server that runs as a virtual machine in a VMware® ESXi environment.

Regards,

Pawan

77 Posts

June 24th, 2015 02:00

yeah! a little more detail would help.

- What is the current setup ?

- What is your final objective ?

- What comes to your mind when you say virtual grid ?

133 Posts

June 24th, 2015 06:00

If you are talking about making a Multi-node grid out of virtual machines.

It has been done for training purposes only, but the problem is the GSAN does not remain stable for more than a week or so when put into a production environment. In the trainer systems, for each trainee, we create a small 1x4 newly generated grid each time, so the system never lasts more than a week.

It was decided a long time ago to not invest time in testing a long term solution, because the purpose of having a Multi-node grid is to provide RAIN redundancy if a single hardware node failed. In a virtual environment, this is not necessary as there are other better methods for protecting the VM.

4 Posts

June 24th, 2015 08:00

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Thank you, I got my question answered.

Cindy Rayniak

Data Protection Systems Integ Sr Advisor-Americas

Dell | I&CC, U.S.A.

Office: 972-577-3727, mobile: 224-358-4989

cindy_rayniak@dell.com

Dell Inc. 2300 W. Plano Parkway, Plano, TX 75075

Office Hours – US Hours: Monday thru Friday: 7:00am CT – 4:00pm CT

4 Posts

June 24th, 2015 08:00

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Pawan,

Thank you for your reply. I wasn’t even aware of AVE.

I looked at AVE but it looks like the largest capacity is 4tb correct? The grid we are looking to replace is backing up 16tb of data so far and we are running out of capacity.

Now that I know about AVE I will discuss limitations with customer.

Cindy Rayniak

Data Protection Systems Integ Sr Advisor-Americas

Dell | I&CC, U.S.A.

Office: 972-577-3727, mobile: 224-358-4989

cindy_rayniak@dell.com

Dell Inc. 2300 W. Plano Parkway, Plano, TX 75075

Office Hours – US Hours: Monday thru Friday: 7:00am CT – 4:00pm CT

355 Posts

June 25th, 2015 02:00

I looked at AVE but it looks like the largest capacity is 4tb correct?

AVE is available in four configurations: 0.5 TB, 1 TB, 2 TB, and 4 TB licensed capacity. AVE is not scalable to a multi-node Avamar server and resizing the virtual machine is not supported. You can increase storage capacity by deploying additional AVE virtual machines, and then divide backups among them.

Regards,

Pawan

No Events found!