Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2016 02:00

EMC CloudBoost & Avamar

Hello,

has anyone alreday experience with EMC CloudBoost and Avamar.

My idea was, that I can use this instead of the Avamar Tape-Out with the Media Access Node.

When I have a look at the documentation of this , it looks like CloudBoost is just easy with NetWorker but if you have Avamar it is quite complex.

So has anyone implemented this solution yet.

215 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 04:00

There are actually two possible workflows to move data from Avamar to CB or for that matter any other cloud GW.

1. One is the one you pointed to in your link which depends on Networker this approach requires the data be moved three times.

2. Another approach is to use MagFS agent which is available for CB on the staging server which provides a CIFS like share to which ADMe stages the data to in effect directly which is in effect the cloud storage therefore touching the data only once. This approach is similar to a dropbox approach but provides file level browsing/searching and recovery directly from the share itself. In addition, it results in no specific dependencies on Avamar afterwards making it an attractive use case for archived type Long Term Retention as opposed to everyday’s backups and ideally using datasets containing only the data required versus a more generic dataset containing data that is not really required to go to the cloud.

As for complexity, that’s is in the eyes of the beholder because anything can be complex when you don’t know it or understand it.

But once you understand the ADMe tool and its process it really is a very simple concept to grasp especially using Opt-2 above as the Networker piece is not required.

To be clear though, both options can be used and used concurrently if you chose.

ADMe supports multiple tape applications, cloud providers via numerous 3rd party GW’s or simply to large cheap disks and do so all at the same time using a common approach.

ADMe provides two UI’s now, a CLI interactive menu based or a Web-UI providing similar functionality to the menu and either or both can be used at the same time also.

If you are interested in more detail please contact me directly adam.kirkpatrick@emc.com

Thank You.

No Events found!