August 12th, 2009 14:00

How To back replication for source Grid AVAMAR

Hello,

I have doubts in the implementation of Replication:

Environment:
Site1: avamar01-01 - Source
Site2: avamar02-01 - Destination
AVAMAR 4.1.105

There are 10 clients being backed up in Site1 and 5 clients doing backup in Site2.

The Site1 (avamar01-01) is replicating in site2 (avamar02-01)
Replicate it without problems.

Currently, site2 (avamar02-01) has all the data from site1 (avamar01-01) and was lost site1 !!!.

Able to restore and backup in site2, all operation very well.

question and doubt:
Now site1 (avamar01-01) was rebuilt and is empty.

How to back data of Site1 that are in site2 with REPLITATE (R)?

207 Posts

August 13th, 2009 05:00

Here is the basic idea of how you will restore backups using reverse replication. Let's say your environment is configured as such:

Replication Source: ServerA
Replication Target: ServerB

To push backups from ServerB BACK to ServerA, you must run a manual replication as follows:

nohup replicate --dstaddr=ServerA --dstid=root --dstpassword=8RttoTriz --hfsaddr=ServerB --id=root --password=8RttoTriz --restore --srcpath=/path/to/client --dstpath=/path/to/client --logfile=/home/admin/repl-restore.log 2>&1 &

A couple of notes:

1) Obviously if the root passwords have been changed, use the correct ones instead of the default
2) You don't have to specify just a client name, you can specify a domain path and it will assume all clients and subdomains from that point.
3) Only backups which do not exist on ServerA will be copied from ServerB, so a rollback will essentially be reversed if replication has run.
4) Of critical importance is the --restore flag, without which this process will not work

Message was edited by:
Amol Powar

137 Posts

August 12th, 2009 14:00

Do you want to send the data that is replicated in site2, back to the site 1?? That would be nice to know, it has never happend to me that case, but when you get it please let me know the procedure

131 Posts

August 12th, 2009 15:00

yes, there is that I need. This is possible?

I think it should be, because if not, this is a big problem.

131 Posts

August 13th, 2009 07:00

Ok, I will run.

Dubts:
I don't understand the item 4. You could explain more this item.

Thanks!!!

137 Posts

August 13th, 2009 07:00

Amol: Is this command line send the data bask to its original domains???

The item 4: I guess that means that it has to be the --restore flag in the command line to make it work. otherwhise it will not work.

131 Posts

August 13th, 2009 08:00

This command I run in Source (ServerA) our in Destination (ServerB)?

131 Posts

August 13th, 2009 12:00

This command no work.

I running in source and destination, nothing occurs.

Following:

nohup replicate --dstaddr=avamar01-01.lab-f9c.com.br --dstid=root --dstpassword=8RttoTriz --hfsaddr=avamar02-01.lab-f9c.com.br --id=root --password=8RttoTriz --restore --srcpath=/REPLICATE/clients/ --dstpath=/teste --logfile=/home/admin/repl-restore.log 2>&1 &

Source(the original files)= avamar01-01
replication = avamar02-01

Back data (replicate) from avamar02-01 to avamar01-01.

Could you help me?

207 Posts

August 13th, 2009 13:00

Please run this command on the destination server i.e avamar02-01

nohup replicate --dstaddr=avamar01-01.lab-f9c.com.br --dstid=root --dstpassword=8RttoTriz --hfsaddr=avamar02-01.lab-f9c.com.br --id=root --password=8RttoTriz --restore --srcpath=/REPLICATE/clients/ --dstpath=/clients --logfile=/home/admin/repl-restore.log 2>&1 &

In your command you tried replicating from /REPLICATE/clients to /teste

Make sure that we need to replicate the data from /REPLICATE/clients to /clients on source, we cannot use different domain

As far as --restore switch is concern , it assumes that the data needs to be replicate back from destination to source, for any error please paste the output of

/home/admin/repl-restore.log

131 Posts

August 20th, 2009 14:00

ok, replication running successful.

nohup replicate --dstaddr=avamar01-01.lab-f9c.com.br --dstid=root --dstpassword=8RttoTriz --hfsaddr=avamar02-01.lab-f9c.com.br --id=root --password=8RttoTriz --restore --srcpath=/REPLICATE/marge.lab-f9c.com.br --dstpath=/marge.lab-f9c.com.br --logfile=/home/admin/repl-restore.log 2>&1

Run in Destination SITE2 (avamar02-01).

The clients have be add in SITE1 (avamar01-01) again.

verify the log: /root/nohup.out.
No Events found!