Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 2nd, 2010 12:00

How do I manually launch a backup job with a tag other than "N"?

I currently have groups set up that back up separate single resources, have their own specific datasets and schedules, and use a common retention period.

We are only replicating backups tagged "Daily", and nothing else.

I would like to know if there is a way to manually launch a backup outside of the normal schedule, so that the resulting backup job gets tagged with the correct retention flag instead of an "N" (not tagged) which seems to be the default for any manually executed activity.   Since we do not replicate backups with an "N" flag, these manual backups are at risk.

Currently, if I need to run a backup before or after the scheduled time, I have been modifying the schedule, and waiting for it to manually kick off at the new time that I set it for.    This allows for the backup to run when I want it to, and I also get the proper retention flag.   However, I then have to remember to set the schedule back to the original time that it was set for.

Any help would be appreciated - I hope I have explained this correctly...

13 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 07:00

I may be answering my own question here, but I see that there is a "Run Now" button in the Manage Schedules window.  I am wondering if by clicking this button, the Avamar system will run the schedule and include the correct retention flag (not the "N" flag) ?

13 Posts

March 5th, 2010 08:00

Ok, I have confirmed that by choosing the schedule of the job that I need to run, and clicking the "Run Now" button, the backup job is run, and the retention flag is set to whatever the schedule is configured for.   (The "N" flag is not used...)

360 Posts

March 20th, 2010 19:00

As Mercer Road mentioned, there are several way to set flags for on-deman backups.

Server Side backup:

1. "Backup & Restore" View, Can specify through "advanced"

2. "Policy" View, "Backup Up Group Now", Defined flags for group

3. "Policy" View, "Backup Up Client Now", Defind flags for selected group

Client Side Backup:

1. Avtar command line mode, user can specify flags

2. GUI, can not specify. N flag.

94 Posts

September 26th, 2013 13:00

I have a similar type of situation. After a lot of testing I determined that with "on-demand" backups there's no way to have Avamar automatically set the retention and expiration date correctly. I ended up writing a script that would kick off the backup, wait for it to finish and then manually set the retention and expiration dates accordingly.

No Events found!