Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2013 07:00

Location/determination of replicated data

I am very much a novice at Avamar, having taken over duties of a former employee. So, with that... I need to find where replicated data resides on a server that was part of (im guessing) bidirectional replication from two separate servers. It was relatively a hub, but it grew close to 70% utilization and management is beginning to grumble.  Replication to that server has ceased, but that replicated data needs to be removed to appease. If more information is needed to resolve this, please ask and I will try to gather the info.

498 Posts

November 12th, 2013 13:00

The data is not something you can just go in and say  rm /dir/*

it is dedup data and is mixed in with all the other backups.

to get rid of the data...

1) you need to expire the backups - so you would want to do something like go to the Avamar GUI of the destination grid and look at  REPLICATE .  In there you will find a domain for the source Avamar - and under it the replicated backups.

2) and can see what has images in BACKUP AND RESTORE.  and here you can expire anything you don't want.  or you can go do Administration and delete the server.

3) you then have to wait for Garbage cleaning to run before you get any space back.

NOTE: as with any info you get from here - I am not responsible for how you use this info.  Read the manuals about retiring or deleting servers for more info.

4 Posts

November 12th, 2013 14:00

Thanks for the info…I will definitely look at the options and pass it by mgmt…

Joflo

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

November 12th, 2013 18:00

Hey,

I suggested you refer to Chapter 15 Replication section of EMC Avamar 7.0 Administration Guide on page 368.

Hope this can help you.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

November 12th, 2013 21:00

the key is that if you want to reclaim the space from the secondary server, you need to reclaim the space from the primary server by expiring or deleting unnecessary backup files on the admin gui. open the backup record on the backup and restore window on the gui and locate the backup files you want to delete and delete them. wait for the next gargage collection to remove the data from the disk and verify the space later again.

please mark my answer as correct/helpful answer if it helps.

498 Posts

November 13th, 2013 08:00

Difference of opinion here - I thought expring a backup on the source grid - did nothing to the destation grid..... they each had their own expertiaon dates, and once the replication was done they had nothing to do with each other.

But I cannot find anything in the manual yet that really points to this.

As he has broken replication - if he deletes from the destination the source will not send it again.

Anybody got any info from manuals or white pages on this?

No Events found!