Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2012 13:00

Regarding Sharepoint 2010 backup on Avamar

Hello,

AM trying to backup our SHarepoint servers. I have 2 web , 2 app and 1 DB server so i configure the 2 web servers as front end servers and rest of the 3 servers as back end servers. I did install both the basic windows client plugin and sharepoint plugin on the servers. When i try to browse the farm i get the attached error message from the front end server. Can some one help with this.

1 Attachment

91 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 11:00

Are you using shared pipes, as opposed to TCP/IP, for alias resolution?

258 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 12:00

Hello,

I guess we are not using any shared pipes here. But this is the error am getting now. It cant even browse the farm. But i did install all the agents with admin privillages. Please find attached file.

EMC-Avamar_Sharepoint.JPG

91 Posts

I had a similair issue at one of my customers earlier in the year and the issue was traced to them using shared pipes which is not supported by Avamar.

I'm not too familiar with Sharepoint but it is my understanding that Sharepoint supports either named pipes or TCP/IP alias resolution for communication between the front and back end. If you're using named pipes then you need to set up TCP/IP aliasing in order for it to be supported via Avamar.

You may also find these two blurbs useful, from the Avamar 6.1 Sharepoint guide...

Browsing to specify backups fails when using an SQL alias over Named

Pipes

Currently, Avamar cannot browse clients when you use an SQL alias over Named Pipes.

When you try to browse the SharePoint client in the Avamar Administrator Backup and

Restore window to select a client or databases for backup, Avamar displays an error

message similar to the following:

Client refused browse request. 10007 Unable to resolve IP address for

back-end client: “ ”

You can resolve this issue by using the SQL Server Client Network Utility to change the SQL

alias from type Named Pipes to TCP/IP. Consult Microsoft documentation for information

on using the SQL Server Client Network Utility.

Backup might fail when farm servers have multiple NICs or IP addresses

A backup might fail when web front-end or back-end servers have multiple NICs, multiple

IP addresses, or both, such as when network load balancing is used. Network load

balancing might cause the back-end client to see the Web front-end client's secondary IP

address instead of the primary IP address. Avamar might report an error similar to the

following:

Client refused browse request. 10007 Unable to connect to the back-end

client ' ', error code: 2 Please ensure that the

Back-end backup agent is running.

If this error occurs, it can be fixed by adding an avagent.cmd file and adding persistent

routes through the windows command line to both clients:

1. Add avagent.cmd file with --netbind= on both

clients.

2. Add persistent routes through the Windows command line on both clients. Add routes

for outgoing traffic to both each client and to the Avamar grid to exit only the primary

NIC interface.

258 Posts

I didnt get that. Can you be in detail please. This is a new system for us and this is our new setup.

91 Posts

Are the services running with the appropriate Sharepoint admin account?

Sometimes it can take awhile to browse so I suggest hitting Retry a couple times and pottentially View Partial Results if it continues. If it comes back with some results, but not all, heed the message of the alert. Otherwise open up a ticket with support and have someone take a look at it closely. You can get someone quickly by using PowerLink's Live Chat feature.

2K Posts

July 4th, 2012 07:00

Only one server in the farm should be configured as a Front-end server. The following excerpt is from page 50 of the EMC Avamar 6.1 for SharePoint VSS User Guide but also applies to Avamar 6.0:

When the Select the type of installation page appears, select the type of SharePoint server on which you are installing the plug-in:

• If the server is the main WFE server in a distributed farm, or the sole SharePoint server in a standalone farm, select Front-end plug-in.

NOTICE

If there is more than one WFE, select the Front-end plug-in option for only one WFE.

• If the server is an application server, database server, or another WFE, select Back-end plug-in.

Hope this helps.

70 Posts

July 15th, 2012 08:00

Hi Guys

We are using Avamar6.1 with share point and windows client plugin and took a backup but to restore purpose we are using Kroll ontrack

i have gone throw many documents and dint not find any detail information regadring Kroll and use that with Avamar went to kroll website and got all documents but not find anything with Avamar

Issues is we need to know how API and were to install Kroll ontrack on accoring to Avamar share point document we did install it but not abl e to restore as Kroll was installed outside the farm and how can we extrct wizard from that server ?

Please help me out on this issue.

thank you.

22 Posts

August 6th, 2013 11:00

bonnu06,

Did you ever get this resolved?  I too am timing out when trying to browse my sharepoint server with the same error message with "The client was unable to complete this browse request....."

258 Posts

Yes .. i did resolve it. Initally upgrade all the avamar agents on all web,app and DB servers.

After that add bat file called avmossvss in program files ->avs->var with the below contents and restart the avamar agent

--initialbrowse-timeout=180

--remotebrowse-timeout=800

--subworkorder-timeout=100

22 Posts

bonnu06,

Thanks for the quick reply!  Based on what you said, I checked the software versions, and noticed I was running on old Avamar 5.x client on my Sharepoint server.  Don't know why I didn't check that already.  Nonetheless, I removed it, installed the 6.1 client, and I'm now able to browse from Avamar Administrator.  Thanks again!!

2K Posts

August 6th, 2013 14:00

After that add bat file called avmossvss in program files ->avs->var

It sounds like you're talking about avmossvss.cmd. It's not actually a batch file (though it does share the same extension, unfortunately). Just thought I would clarify.

No Events found!