Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2014 10:00

Restore exceptions due to SIS link problem

Today, one of our techs attempted a file restore of a Desktop.ini file on a newly-built Windows 2012 Data Center edition server. The backup completed with exceptions, and I see the following errors/warnings in the job log:

2014-09-03 11:56:22 avtar Error <5737>: I/O error: Unable to create file during restore "C:\Program Files\avs\var\sis.hs" (code 2: The system cannot find the file specified).
2014-09-03 11:56:22 avtar Error <5189>: Error restoring path ".system_info\sis.hs" to "C:\Program Files\avs\var".
2014-09-03 11:56:22 avtar Warning <17990>: File 'sis.hs' could not be restored. If backup contains SIS links they will not be converted to regular files and will not be accessible. Otherwise, backup was done on a non-SIS enabled system and this warning message can be safely ignored.

I'm not sure where the file sis.hs is being picked up and have not seen this type of warning before. I was able to successfully restore a different file (hosts) without these errors, so it seems this only crops up under certain circumstances. When and why should I expect to see these warnings occur?

Thanks.

355 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 10:00

Hello,

I have seen similar kind of issues if restore destination is a file server.

Is your 2012 machine a file server ?

Regards,

Pawan

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 17:00

Hey,

If Microsoft File Server Resource Manager is configured on the Windows Server where the restore is attempted, you may encouter this error.

If your environment is same with this, please try the following solution.

Disabled File Screening or Quota Management from "File Server Resource Manager"

To open "File Server Resource Manager" click on Start->Run-> MMC

File->ADD/Remove SnapinADD Snap In ->Add-> "File Server Resource Manager"

20 Posts

September 10th, 2014 09:00

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

This is not a file server, and the File Server Resource Manager feature has not been enabled. This exception was encountered immediately after the server was built (one of the first things we do is install/activate the Avamar agent and run a test backup and restore).

20 Posts

September 24th, 2014 10:00

Sorry to bump this, but I actually have some additional info that may help troubleshoot.

I see a record of two different test restores done on a newly-built Windows 2012 server. One was successful and one completed with these exceptions. Here I will outline the differences I've noticed between how the restores ran.

***COMPLETED***

- restore was a single file: Desktop.ini for a given folder

- restore run as SYSTEM user: 2014-09-24 02:42:34 avtar Info <5295>: Starting restore at 2014-09-24 02:42:34 Eastern Daylight Time as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" on " " (1 CPU) [7.0.100-427]

***COMPLETED W/EXCEPTIONS***

- restore was for an entire folder: C:\install

- restore run as a local admin user account - not sure how/why that happened: 2014-09-24 00:57:39 avtar Info <5295>: Starting restore at 2014-09-24 00:57:39 Eastern Daylight Time as "<servername>\<ouradmin>" on "<servername>" (1 CPU) [7.0.100-427]

- privilege failures:

2014-09-24 00:57:39 avtar Warning <6027>: Current user (<servername>\<ouradmin>") could not enable SE_RESTORE_NAME privilege. Some files may fail to restore properly.

2014-09-24 00:57:39 avtar Warning <6976>: Current user (<servername>\<ouradmin>") could not enable SE_SECURITY_NAME privilege. ACLs cannot be restored

2014-09-24 00:57:39 avtar Warning <7704>: Current user (<servername>\<ouradmin>") could not enable SE_BACKUP_NAME privilege. Some files may fail to restore properly.

My guess is that the problem is how the user under which this second restore was run as it correlates to these privilege failures. In both restores, the agent recognizes that the target is server 2012 and initializes the WSS SIS Manager:

2014-09-24 00:57:39 avtar Info <18776>: Restore target is Win2012 - initializing WSS SIS Manager.

<...>

<...>

2014-09-24 00:57:39 avtar Info <17991>: Attempting to restore sis.hs file. If successful, then backup was done on a Windows Storage Server with Windows SIS feature enabled.

Does this additional information point us in a new direction?  Previous suggestions have been to check The File Server Resource Manager, but this feature is not enabled on these servers (the snap-in is not even available in MMC).

2K Posts

September 24th, 2014 11:00

The user under which a restore runs is normally the same as the user under which the avagent service runs. If the service is running under a named account (as opposed to running under the SYSTEM account), the named account must have the SE_RESTORE_NAME, SE_SECURITY_NAME and SE_BACKUP_NAME privileges assigned to it.

You can check whether or not the user account has these privileges by logging in as that user and running the following command at a command prompt:

whoami /priv

Missing privileges can be assigned to users or group using the group policy editor. Please see the following TechNet page for more information:

Privileges

20 Posts

September 24th, 2014 12:00

I should also note that, despite the exceptions, the restore does appear to work in that it does restore the selected data. It just complains about these sis.hs files. I'm just trying to make it work "properly" without being so noisy, as we create tickets automatically for every backup exception and failure.

20 Posts

Thanks for your reply, Ian.

As noted in the article you linked, those privileges are all allowed to the Administrators group by default, and I've confirmed that those privileges are still granted to that group and that our admin user is part of it as well. So while local user privileges will not show this user as having those privileges, they should have access to them through the group. That's why I'm scratching my head over these errors. Our Windows 2008 R2 servers are deployed in the same fashion and I've never seen these warnings and exceptions crop up during a restore on them.

2K Posts

This sounds like it would be worth opening a service request for.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2014 13:00

I believe the file mentioned here is unique to Windows 2012 /avs/var directory. This is a special/hidden file known as "Haskell Script", this file type is tied to windows registry through an application that is using it in one shape or form. In your own case it's the Avamar itself that is using this file, I'm not sure if this file can be copied to another location on the same server that you are doing restore on.

It's advisable to restore a missing system file to their original position rather than duplicating a system file through a restore process because of their relationship with Windows registry.

No Events found!