Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2014 06:00

Troubleshooting

Team,

Does we have any particular document which says the list of errors or error codes which come in Avamar. or what kind of error we will come with and also what are the initial checks we need to check when there is a backup failure

268 Posts

I don't think there is a specific error message guide of error code guide in Avamar. Avamar admin guide and tech addendum provides some details, but not specific to what you are looking for.

Best way would be to search error message on support.emc.com, mostly you will find many relevant Knowledge base articles with resolution.

Regards,

Prajith

215 Posts

All event codes are documented and they are available on the Utility node under /usr/local/avamar/doc

regards,

Adam

1 Message

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

I am interested in documented procedures for troubleshooting common Avamar Backup errors/exceptions.  I think that is what Vamsi_P is asking for.

October 3rd, 2014 03:00

The first thing to do would be to gather the log for the backup and search for strings such as warn, fatal, fail or error within that log.

The error message may not necessarily explain the root cause of the issue but when you have the details of what the backup was 'unhappy' about you can use the support.emc.com advanced knowledge article search to find articles which mention those messages

search.jpg

Gathering log files for troubleshooting Avamar client issues

https://support.emc.com/kb/110622

Advanced knowledge article search link

https://support.emc.com/search?&resource=SOL&adv=y&kbAdv=y

It's a little more complicated for Avamar server issues as the relevant logs will depend on which of the services the issue relates to, but the same advice applies, if you are seeing an error or warning, make a note of the exact text and run a search for existing articles.

355 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 03:00

Hello,

For Avamar 5.0, we have following guide available with all event codes, summary, severity and remedy -

https://support.emc.com/docu9253_Avamar-5.0-Event-Codes-Listing.pdf?language=en_US

For Avamar 6.x and 7.x, we do not have such guide but all event codes summary is placed on utility node.

Please use following procedure -

1. Login to Utility Node with root user.

2. Change directory to /usr/local/avamar/doc

cd /usr/local/avamar/doc

3. To get details of any code run command –

Grep event_summary.txt

Example –

root@lincsb235:/usr/local/avamar/doc/#: grep 52503 event_summary.txt

52503 ERROR        A power supply has been disconnected or has failed. The senso r location, chassis location, previous state, and additional power supply status information are provided.

But if you are looking for all event code with complete solution, then best source is EMC support site.

Search with error code or error message.

Regards,'

Pawan

498 Posts

October 6th, 2014 07:00

best I did was as each new issue come up. 

I did the research, and created a doc with that error number and text.

now when we get errors, anybody who is doing the troubleshooting that day can look at the docs to see what needs to be done to fix that error code.

No Events found!