Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2012 15:00

VMware Image Backup/FLR Appliance deployment improvement suggestions

Would it be possible to have the next version of the Avamar VMware Image Backup/FLR Appliance have more SCSI controllers?  Currently, you have to manually add additional controllers to the proxy in order to backup a VM with more than 12 VMDKs.  This is annoying and would be unnecessary if the proxy appliance would come with more controllers.

To be a little picky, it would make more sense to reorder the properties that are specified when deploying a proxy to: IP, netmask, gateway, DNS to match the common order in which these attributes tend to be listed.  In addition, it would be helpful to explicitly say that only two DNS entries can be specified as more than two will cause none to work until manually reconfiguring the network settings on the proxy (figured all of this out the hard way!).

Thanks!

2K Posts

July 18th, 2012 17:00

• Additional SCSI controller
  • Order of network parameter entry

I will look into getting a request for enhancement opened for each of these. I would also recommend submitting an RFE through PowerLink as that can only improve the chances that these enhancements are implemented.

• Specifying more than two DNS entries causes DNS to fail

This sounds like a bug to me. I will escalate this to the developers. At the very least, the documentation should be updated.

143 Posts

July 20th, 2012 09:00

Thanks, Ian.  I will submit a RFE.

Also, what's up with not being able to remove proxies when ANY backups or replication jobs are running?  I understand not being able to remove proxies why they are in use and even while they are associated with vCenter groups but it makes no sense to have to stop all backups and replication just to remove a proxy.  Under this twisted logic, I suppose you shouldn't be able to add a proxy with any backup or replication jobs running either.  Generarlly, the lack of thought that goes into making this product easy to administer is maddening.

2K Posts

July 20th, 2012 10:00

Also, what's up with not being able to remove proxies when ANY backups or replication jobs are running?

I'll look into this too.

2K Posts

July 23rd, 2012 06:00

I asked around about this restriction. Two quick points:

1. This applies to the deletion of all clients, not just proxies
  2. The restriction only applies to replication, not to backups

Essentially this behaviour is to prevent race conditions between replication and move or delete operations as that has caused issues in the past.

No Events found!