Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 3rd, 2015 01:00

What are my options when going from a 16node grid to a single metadata node and a DD4500 behind it? is Avamar migration possible? then add the fact that there is an extended retention node on the Avamar grid for for tape out.

I have a 16 node grid replicating to another 16 node grid. Im looking to scale and my option is to convert to an avamar/data domain solution. my understanding is that migrating the data from the grid to the new avmarar/data domain solution is not possible. the new avamar/dd solution is a single metadata node and a DD4500. I also have an extended retention node for tape out that i keep monthly clones for a year. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. 

215 Posts

October 4th, 2015 14:00

Currently it is not possible to rely on replication for this purpose but you could leverage ADMe to migrate copies of Avamar backups from the old to the new and have them stored in the DD. This approach is automated end-to-end but to be clear it is not suitable for migrating every days BU’s for every client due to the workload involved. It is suitable for moving one backup per month per client.

ADMe can go back in time to capture the monthly tagged BU’s since the beginning of time but given the data is rehydrated even these can add up quickly. The process is not high performance but is considerably quicker that waiting out natural expiration assuming you have retention times measured in years and your goal is to retain these backups for compliance or other reasons.

Resulting migrations provide file level recoveries directly from the new Avamar in an almost normal manner.

To give you an idea on throughput, at one customer site ADMe migrated just over 150 TB’s over a 10 week period which was considerably shorter than waiting out the natural expiry time of 3 years.

As for your tapeout setup, this can be moved to the new node but versioning considerations will need to be taken into consideration as well as the additional setup to have it functional from two Avamar’s concurrently assuming this is a requirement. Since ADMe also provides tapeout functionality and has several pros over AER you may want to consider using it for tapeout as well.

The link to the ADMe home page is @ https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-7910

If you require more details or have any questions on this process feel free to contact me directly at my EMC email address.

regards,

Adam

5 Posts

October 4th, 2015 15:00

Adam,

Thanks for the response. So are you saying that in can take the existing

Extended retention node from the current grid and use it on the new avamar

/ data domain system? Or can I migrate the db or Metadata from the current

ext ret, node to a new one.

Manny Punzo

Principal Architect

Data Protection Solutions

TECHNOLOGENT

(C) 469-215-9454

5 Posts

October 4th, 2015 16:00

Patrick,

Can I use an Avamar NDMP Accelrator to backup NDMP data to an avamar/data

domain hybrid solution???

Manny Punzo, Jr.

Principal Architect

Data Protection Solutions

5801 Tennyson Pkwy. Plano, TX 75024

C: 469-215-9454

manny.punzo@technologent.com

Visit our Website | Friend us on Facebook | Follow us on Linkedin

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Adam Kirkpatrick <

215 Posts

October 4th, 2015 18:00

Yes you can.

215 Posts

October 4th, 2015 18:00

The use of AER or not is separate issue from your other question.

It is not possible to migrate anything from an AER, I’m saying your existing AER can be used by both Avamar systems during your transition to the new.

No Events found!