Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2013 05:00

Dell C6100 Question

I read the information that you had with a previous customer regarding the C6100 and found it very useful.  I was wondering if you could answer more questions for me.

I am considering buying one of these.  My purpose is going to be different then what is intended for.  i would like to build 4 seperate systems in one box.  Is that possible?

I read that in order to install the Operating systems, that the onboard intel ICH10 would not work. In order to do so, I need to get the raid card to divide them up. My next question is, How many RAID Mezzanine Cards can I put in the Dell C6100?  I read, don't remember where, that the c6100 houses only 2 RAID Mezzanine Cards?  Is that true?

Thanks in advance

June 21st, 2013 15:00

Hi, if there is a Mezz installed propably the LSI 2008 Mezz. You cannot use the ICH10. It has an other internal cabling.

With this config, you can run individual nodes.

Please be aware, the systems the vendor offers are out of service @ Dell or be a broker system from Dell Datacenter Solution that runs for a long time. So please check the servicetag with your local support first, before you buy the system.

June 16th, 2013 06:00

Hi Simms,

first the C6100 is end of life so you need to buy a C6220 or later this year C6220 Rev. 2. For each C6000 chassis you can have 2 or 4 compute nodes ( C6220 ). This enables you to install 4 diffenrent servers but I wouldn't recommend this. If you have to maintain the chassis all nodes will go down, this will be worstcase for a production environment.

The C6220 has a C600 Software Raid chip onboard, this one works with Windows Server 2008 R2 and later and many Linux distributions like REHL, SLES, CentOS, Ubuntu.

The C6220 can have one RAID Mezzanine Card ( LSI 2008) and one PCI Raidcontroller (mostly LSI 9xxx is used).

With the C6220 nodes you can have a mixed hardware configuration in the chassis, for C6100 all nodes have to be the same.

4 Posts

June 20th, 2013 18:00

Thanks for your response.  I have found several C6100's for resale.  I am intending on using one in combination as personal workstations, media centers and VMs.  To me, it seems to be a cost effective way to get some real computing power for a really great price.  My question still stands, specifically for the c6100.  I have found a seller that has several of them with the following specs:

4 nodes

2 x E5404 Xeons per node

32GB RAM per node

1 x LSI mezzanine card per node

Redundant power supply

16 x hdd caddies

With these specs, is it feasible to run the 4 nodes, on a c6100, seperately?  If so, would I have to utilize the mezzanine cards individually per node, or could I use the onboard ich10?

Again, thanks for your response and i look forward to your next response.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2013 23:00

Thank you very much.  This answered my question.

No Events found!