Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2011 08:00

iDRAC 6 - setting asset tag

I never had a use for setting the asset tag in the BIOS till recently, but we're now being asked to do so.
Is it possible to do this using racadm commands in a server? I know how to do this for an M1000e, but haven't been able to figure out how to do this for the rest of my rack mount and blade servers. It's a pain having to log into OMSA on each machine to plug in the asset tag there, and would be helpful if there was a command line method.

1 Message

August 28th, 2011 18:00

Hi,

I would also like to know how to resolve via command, is this possible?

272 Posts

November 16th, 2011 13:00

Hi Bennice2002 and hoomun,

Just making sure we are on the same page. I'm looking at the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Version 6.5 Command Line Interface Guide  - omconfig: Managing Components Using the Instrumentation Service at 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Per the section by Table 4-6 it seems you can set asset tag using

omconfig chassis info index=0 tag=buildsys

or

omconfig mainsystem info index=0 tag=buildsys

"Use the omconfig chassis info or omconfig mainsystem info command to enter an asset tag name and a chassis name for your system. If your system is a modular one, you can enter asset tag names for modular components as well."

This is for others who might want to set the asset tag on a Dell client system - the following scripts show how to set a system asset tag via OMCI ( OpenManage Client Intsrumentation )

en.community.dell.com/.../omci-sample-scripts.aspx

Change Asset Tag with OMCI

March 9th, 2012 15:00

Hello,

I just wanted to add to what Peter has suggested in case you are looking for an alternative. There is another way to set the asset tag remotely, local host independent and in a one to many fashion using the Remote Enablement interface of the Lifecycle Controller in iDRAC.

Using winrm/powershell in Windows or wsman tool in Linux, you can set the asset tag through the SetAttribute method of DCIM_BIOSService CIM class. From a single host, you can issue this command to as many servers with iDRAC.

Check this link out for example scripts:

en.community.dell.com/.../scripting-the-dell-lifecycle-controller.aspx

No Events found!