Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2011 11:00

2 Tier vs. 3 Tier Storage Pool

Hey everyone,

I was recenlty made aware that the array algorithm used in today's FASTVP seems to work best in a 2-tier vs a 3-tier strategy. Does anyone have anymore insight on this?

Joel

392 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 11:00

>the array algorithm used in today's FASTVP seems to work best in a 2-tier vs a 3-tier strategy

Its unclear what you mean by, "seems to work best".  After all, its not the difference between a two-wheeler and a tricycle.

There are some advantages to a two-tier pool.  For example, with a two-tiered pool using SAS/NL-SAS and FAST Cache, versus a three-tiered pool with Flash/SAS/NL-SAS.  That is, the FAST Cache can be used globally for any of the storage system's LUNs, and the Flash drives in the three-tier pool benefit only that pool's LUNs.

392 Posts

June 30th, 2011 06:00

Without follow-up, I'm assuming this is answered.

392 Posts

June 30th, 2011 07:00

> if i'm not mistaken, a pool that consist of efd will not allow for fast cache.

That is not the case.  High usage data in the Flash tier of the pool will be excluded from the FAST Cache.  LUN data resident on lower-performing tiers may find its way into the FAST Cache.  LUN data already in the FLASH tier will not be promoted into the FAST Cache.

However, you must assume that your highly utilized data will have residence in your Flash tier.  That is, LUN data in the lower tiers of a three tiered pool will rarely find its way into a FAST Cache.

HTH.

Addendum:  The above is the behavior for O.E. Block 31.0 for VNX, notFLARE 30.X for CLARiiON.  My mistake.  Primus (emc268101) that says to disable one or the other of tiered Flash drives or FAST Cache for CLARiiON..

103 Posts

June 30th, 2011 07:00

yeah...i'm not sure either.

i was asking guidance on a 3-tier strategy for a particular pool that will consist of efd/fc/sata from someone at emc, and to my surprise, i was told that bit of information. we do have fast cache today and it will be fully populated shortly (~800GB for the cx4-480). if i'm not mistaken, a pool that consist of efd will not allow for fast cache.

so that's why i asked that question because, i'm having to rethink my design.

thanks for your feedback!

103 Posts

July 11th, 2011 17:00

thank you for the clarification!

No Events found!