Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2011 08:00

CX array appears confused about 2 hosts

I have several CX arrays, and they all appear to be confused about the host definitions for a pair of physical RHEL hosts implemented on similar hardware. Both hosts are RHEL 5.6, running on seperate HP DL580 G5 boxes with seperate HBA's.

For some reason, the Clariion seems to think that a storage group called "hp1" has both "hp1" and "hp5" hosts, and it will not allow me to assign  the "hp5" host to the "hp5" storage group. Ive tried using both Navisphere GUI and Unisphere. Ive also tried command line as follows:

naviseccli -h cx3-spa storagegroup -connecthost -host hp5 -gname hp5 -o

Error: storagegroup command failed

Host specified is not known by storage system

Any help would be appreciated.

474 Posts

I’ve seen this happen a lot when Linux systems are clones from each other, or when using Kickstart, etc for install. There is a naviagent config file that you should edit on each host to clearly set the specific host identifiers. If the file is identical on both hosts, then Navisphere sees them as the same host and auto-registers them together. This can also change the registration later on if the hosts are manually registered at first. The good news is that Navisphere maintains the host LUN masking even if this problem occurs.

Richard J Anderson

474 Posts

Check KB article emc66921 for details (“Fixing cloned host registration: What is the difference between the Navisphere HostIdFile.txt and agentID.txt files?")

Richard J Anderson

222 Posts

December 6th, 2011 09:00

Yes, the hp5 host was cloned from hp1, so I looked up the reference and made the changes to the HostIdFile.txt, restarted the host agent and that resolved the problem. Thanks.

No Events found!