Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2008 14:00

CX3-10c power protection

Please excuse the newbie question, I've had a hunt around but can't find anything.

We've just had a CX3-10c installed and the engineer who came to migrate our servers across said it shouldn't be connected to a UPS.

We've just suffered an hours unplanned downtime through a brief power outage.

It seems very odd to me that our most vital piece of equipment can be taken down by a brief power blip.

How can I protect us against power outages ?

Thanks
David

2.2K Posts

April 9th, 2008 15:00

I am not sure what the engineer was referring to but you can definitely run the power distribution panels in rack through a UPS as long as the UPS supports the power specs required by the clariion. If you are connecting the power from the SPS and enclosures 0:1 and above to a rack mounted UPS you need to ensure that it can support the load and amps required by the hardware.

What he may have been referring to is to not plug your SPE or Encl 0 into a UPS, they need to draw their power from the SPS so that the SPS can gracefully flush data to the vault disks in the event of a power loss.

In our data center we have two PDPs in each rack, A power and B power. All the DAEs and split their connections between A and B power. The A and B power circuits are powered through UPS units so that if the data center loses power the UPS can provide enough power until the generator is online and providing full power to the data center.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 10th, 2008 02:00

I don't even know any Clariion or DMX that isn't attached to some sort of UPS / No break / generator.....

I wonder if 2200VA is enough though..... How many drives do you have ? What's the power consumption of that Clariion ? I'd recommend checking that before you start attaching the CX to that UPS.

April 10th, 2008 02:00

Thanks very much. I've been back to the company and hassled them, it seems that the mesage 'doesn't need a UPS' got translated somewhere down the line as 'mustn't have a UPS'

Of course now the darn thing is live it's a bit harder to change, but I have an APC 2200 UPS waiting . . .

2.2K Posts

April 10th, 2008 09:00

I don't even know any Clariion or DMX that
isn't attached to some sort of UPS / No break
/ generator.....

Exactly.

DCWhitworth,
I would hassle them some more, because they shouldn't have even said 'doesn't need a UPS'. As soon as the SPS senses a power loss it will start flushing data in cache to disk and then power down.

So having a UPS on your servers but allowing your storage array to shutdown is useless.

238 Posts

April 10th, 2008 15:00

I wonder if 2200VA is enough though..... How many
drives do you have ? What's the power consumption of
that Clariion ? I'd recommend checking that before
you start attaching the CX to that UPS.

Maximum power draw for a CX3-10 can be checked on its spec sheet.
http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/specification-sheet/c1161-clariion-cx3-10.pdf
Would be 240 VA (for the processor enclosure) plus 4 @ 440 VA (for its maximum of 4 DAEs) which totals out to 2000 VA.
Actual power draw likely less depending on specific drive types, but also could be higher if there are other devices included in the rack (e.g. switches).

Regards,
DGM

2.2K Posts

April 10th, 2008 19:00

Of course now the darn thing is live it's a bit
harder to change, but I have an APC 2200 UPS waiting
. . .

You can safely cut over one power supply at a time. The SPE and the DAEs are designed to operate on one power supply in the case of a failure, so you will not bring the system down by taking one side down at a time to switch it over.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 10th, 2008 23:00

That's what I meant to say: I wasn't sure that 2200 was enough. It might have been slightly undersized, but I see it's on the edge (on the safe side).

April 11th, 2008 03:00

Thanks for all the useful advice everyone.

I've only got two disk enclosures so an APC 2200 should be good. My plan is to plug one connection from the SPS and one from the second disk enclosure into the UPS and leave the others as is. I don't want the UPS to become a single point of failure.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 11th, 2008 05:00

Not having SPOF's is always good !

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

April 14th, 2008 06:00

What do you mean about "SPOF"

Thanks,
Dennis

April 14th, 2008 07:00

"Single Point Of Failure" :-)

I've scheduled some downtime on Saturday so I should be able to get this sorted.
No Events found!