Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2007 12:00

CX300i new install. Multiple (same) disks showing up when LUN is bound.

After creating a raid group, then a storage group and connecting it to my host I launched disk management and discovered that the disk was not only listed once, but 4 times. 2 of the disks it lists I am able to run diskpart on and format them like they are real disks. The other 2 are listed as unreadable.

The weird part is, when I format the disk I am able to make two seperate drives, and create folders and files on each... when supposedly they are the same LUN.

Any ideas?
sorry if this is a simple question, I am new.

Thanks
-derek

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 18th, 2007 12:00

do you have powerpath installed ? Make sure you have PowerPath on your windows systems.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 18th, 2007 13:00

i just noticed that you have CX300i ..so if you are using iSCSI make sure to download and install PowerPath iSCSI version located here:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads D-R > PowerPath for Windows Systems

1.5K Posts

December 18th, 2007 13:00

It seems you don't have PowerPath installed on the server. In that case, this is normal. Since you have 4 paths to the CLARiiON (using 2 HBAs - assumption) - the same LUN will be available on 4 different Targets - thus to Windows it will appear as 4 different disks - although they are the same LUN visible on 4 different Paths. PowerPath will understand the same and mask the physical paths to the same LUN with one logical disk (pseudo disk). PowerPath will present the pseudo (virtual) disk name to Windows - and will take care of multi-pathing and load balancing (if properly licensed).

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks,
Sandip

4.5K Posts

December 27th, 2007 09:00

If you are not running PowerPath, the failover setting must be set to 0 (zero). PowerPath requires failover mode 1.

On PowerLink, locate the Host Connectivity Guides for Windows, it has a section specifically for iSCSI connections.

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

regards,

glen kelley
No Events found!