Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 13th, 2009 05:00

CX400 Power supply replacement

Can someone tell me how long it would normally take to replace one power supply in a CX400 and confirm that this is a hot swappable part that needs no downtime on the array.

Thanks.

5.7K Posts

July 13th, 2009 06:00

About one to two hours at the most. You need to disable write cache manually (at least that was what the Procedure Generator stated last year ;) ), unscrew several screws, remove cables and the SPS, which is heavy and needs to be done carefully, because of all the fibres you normally would encounter in a rack with a Clariion installed. After removing the old SPS, you can slide in the new one and reverse everything: so tighten the screws and enable the write cache again.
If you take unpacking and packing into account it's 2 hours max I guess.

2.2K Posts

July 13th, 2009 09:00

Are you replacing a power supply for the Disk Processor Enclosure or a Standby Power Supply (which is the process that RRR detailed) ?

They are different process, but both are hot swappable and will be done with all your hosts online. Worst case scenario is that you will have to disable write caching during the replacement which will impact the array performance. So it is best to do this after business hours if you have applications that are sensitive to i/o performance.

5.7K Posts

July 14th, 2009 03:00

Indeed.... I assumed it was the SPS he was asking about ;)

2.2K Posts

July 14th, 2009 08:00

You are probably right since the battery will only last so long before it needs to be replaced. I just wanted to clarify :D Good write up though.

4.5K Posts

July 15th, 2009 07:00

Has your question been answered? If so, please mark the answer (and award points) to the replay that best answered your questions.

glen
No Events found!