Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 27th, 2006 09:00

CX700 SPE Power Supply Failure Write Disabled?

Quick question:

What happens when SPE power supply B fails on a cx700?

From what I remember the write cache is disabled but you can still write to the drives.

Message was edited by:
shaneEMC

238 Posts

December 27th, 2006 21:00

Shane,
During the loss/fault of a Power Supply in the base enclosure, Write Cache will be temporarily disabled. This is to ensure data protection, in the event that the other Power Supply in the same enclosure should also fail. Consistent with what you noted, read and write access is still provided to all data. Write Cache will automatically re-enable once the loss/fault condition with the Power Supply is corrected (e.g. a faulty one is replaced).

Please note that the above only applies to "the base enclosure". This refers to the enclosure that holds the two Storage Processors, and the enclosure that holds the first 15 drives. Depending on the specific CX model, that may be one or two physical entities (e.g. a DPE, or an SPE plus the DAE for Bus 0 Enclosure 0).

Regards,
DGM

2.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2007 07:00

The only thing I would add (or clarify) would be that I think there is a delay between the replacement of the failed power supply and the actual enabling of write cache.

If I'm not mistaken, once power is restored the SPS begins charging and the write cache is not enabled until the SPS is fully charged. This might be as much as 15 minutes sometimes.

So if you restore power and check immediately it will look like the write cache did NOT get automatically turned back on.
No Events found!