Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 19th, 2006 08:00

Clarification on SAN Copy sessions/lun limit

I am looking at SAN Copy guide and a little confused. I have a CX700, so i can have 16 concurrent sessions (8 per SP) and how many LUNs per session? I will be copying from CX700 to DMX3.

Thanks

141 Posts

December 19th, 2006 13:00

dynamox,

Take a look below for the SANcopy rules - on a CX700 you can do 100 LUN's per session however if you are doing incrementals then you will be limited by the number of snapcache LUN's available.

Glen.

SAN Copy (v2.22 for CX3 Series, v2.19 for CX Series)

Available for CX400/500/600/700 & CX3-20/CX3-20c/CX3-40/CX3-40c/CX3-80.
SAN Copy for the CX3-20c & CX3-40c is over the Fibre Channel FE ports only
Supports both full LUN copies and incremental updates.
Supports copies between CLARiiONs, within CLARiiONs, between CLARiiON and Symmetrix and between CLARiiON and 3rd-party arrays.
For full copies, either the source or the destination LUN must reside on the CLARiiON running SAN Copy.
For incremental copy sessions the source LUN must reside on the array running SAN Copy.
For incremental copy sessions the target LUN must be initially populated as an exact block-by-block copy of the source LUN. SAN Copy provides a bulk copy capability (called 'No Mark') to accomplish this via NaviCLI.
Target of copy must be at least as large as source (can be larger)
For full copies the source of a copy must be quiesced when copy occurs (no writes).
A session descriptor defines a copy process - it contains source, target(s) & config info.
Sources for full copy sessions can be LUNs, metaLUNs, snapshots or Clones (both CLARiiON & Symm BCVs).
Sources for incremental copy sessions can be LUNs, metaLUNs, or Clones (on the array running SAN Copy).
If copying within a single array, source and target must be owned by the same SP.
Session definitions are persistent.
All CLARiiON arrays involved in a SAN Copy session must have LUN masking configured.
You must correctly zone SAN Copy ports to remote storage systems so that SAN Copy can have access to these systems.
Both GUI and CLI available for management and scripting.
Resource utilization can be throttled per session (1-10).
Supports copies over FCIP/iFCP.
Tracks failures of access to targets and resumes from last checkpoint taken before failure.
Sessions can be paused and resumed.
The max number of full SAN Copy sessions/targets per array is limited. Use the following formula: (# Sessions x 448 bytes) + (# extra targets x 72 bytes) must be less than 204,800 bytes (each Session includes 1 target).
Configuration rules:
Max of 8 active sessions for CX500/CX3-20/CX3-20c/CX3-40/CX3-40c, 16 active sessions for CX700/CX3-80.
Each source LUN with an incremental SAN Copy session requires a minimum of 1 reserved LUN. Multiple sessions for that LUN can use the same reserved LUN(s).
Sessions can copy single source to multiple targets in parallel (50 for CX500/CX3-20/CX3-40, 100 for CX700/CX3-80).
SAN Copy/E is a 'lite' version of SAN Copy designed to provide incremental push capabilities from a CX300/AX100 to a CX400/500/600/700 or a CX3-20/CX3-20c/CX3-40/CX3-40c/CX3-80 running SAN Copy.
SAN Copy/E on a CX300 Configuration rules:
Max of 4 concurrent sessions
Max of 50 destination LUNs per source
Max of 25 incremental sessions

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 20th, 2006 06:00

Glen,

This is what i am trying to do. I am going to migrate a bunch of apps from CX700 to DMX3, I would like to do a pre-sync first which will do a full sync and then on the day of migration shut down the application on CX700 and do the final incremental sync to DMX3. Will this work? Do i have to have a 1 to 1 LUN size for my snapcache LUNs. For example if i have 5x10G LUNs do i need to reserve 5x10G LUNs for snapcache. ?

Thanks

141 Posts

December 20th, 2006 14:00

OK, so you do need to do an incremental, which means you need at least 1 snap cache lun per source lun that you are going to migrate.
The actual size required for the snap cache lun will depend on the write profile of your application - something around 15 - 20% is a fairly safe starting point however as you can't really choose which snap lun gets used, it's best to create a bunch of LUN's of an average size and have more than you need - that way a particular session fills one LUN, it'll just take another...

ie: for your example of 5x 10GB LUN's, you could create say 10x 2GB LUN's for snap cache. If you have heaps of free space, then 5x 10GB would also work, but it's unlikely that you would ever use all 10GB.

Good Luck

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 20th, 2006 19:00

make sense ..i guess it's just like snapview ..takes a point-in-time snapshot of my LUN and uses the cache area for any "copy-on-write" activities to preserve consistency. I was looking at the incremental options and they have one called "copywholelun" , it says to use it with -nomark command. The manual says that it will perform a full LUN sync ..i don't understand what's the difference then between a regular full sync and incremental with -copywholelun -nomark options.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this.
No Events found!