Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2011 09:00

Clariion devices in W2008 skip over disk 2-6 pick up at 7

We have a windows 2008 sp1 host that is part of an Exchange 2010 DAG.  The Clariion luns are presented to the host and in device manager the local disks show as disk 0 and 1, and you would normally expect to see the clariion luns show up as disks 2 - 12, but in this case it skips 2- 6 and pick up at disk 7-16.  Device managers show the disks 2- 6 as unknown.  They are the DGC LUNZ devices.

What can I do to have the actual luns presented i nthe expected order.  Do I just unpresent the luns run a powermt check and then represent the luns.?  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Shannon jones

Message was edited by: 1thumb There was  a DGZ LUNZ device under the MPIO tab under Administrative Tools, MPIO,  I clicked and removed it and rebooted but devices still show up the same.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 21st, 2011 11:00

the fact that you are seeing LUNZ is not normal, do you not have any LUNs at host id 0 ?

40 Posts

Just the physical disks.

Here is a link that was posted back in 2009 with the same exact error but no fix was identified.  'in Powerpath, disk numbering starts at 3?'

I had the Clariion luns unpresented, and ran a powermt check on the host to clean up dead paths but it says that the paths are in use and cannot be removed.

40 Posts

Could not find the file.   PP version is 5.3 SP1.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

look for file "powermt.custom" , rename it to powermt.custome.backup  and reboot the server.

91 Posts

June 21st, 2011 12:00

Hello

LUNZ is dummy LUN from CLARiiON.

Take a look at emc170849

You can hide LUNZ by disabling ArrayCommpath

Best regards,

Alex

40 Posts

June 21st, 2011 13:00

That resolved the issue.

Regards,

Shannon

91 Posts

June 21st, 2011 23:00

Whan storage and SAN design are made correctly host shouldn't see LUNZ even arracommpath enabled.

A host can see LUNZ when:

1. There is SAN (iSCSI or FC) connectivity between CLARiiON box and host and CLARiiON has no LUNs mapped to the host

2. The host has LUNs assigned to by using storage group but storage group has no LUN with HLU=0

3. The host has some SAN pathes registered in storage group and some not. This happens when host was setuped with CLARiiON and after that new SAN pathes were added from host to CLARiiON. These pathes weren't automaticly added to storage group. To do it you should go to engineering mode (Ctrl-Alt-F12, messner), open storage group properties, go to Connected hosts tab, press Advanced button and add new SAN pathes.

Best regards,

Alex

No Events found!