Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2008 13:00

Consolidating VMWare hosts to a single storage group.

I'm sure that this must have been asked before but I can't seem to find it. Sorry if it's a dupe.

Here's my situation- I've inherited an environment with VMware hosts fiber connected to a CX3-80 and it needs a little tweaking organizationally. Currently each of the 10 VMWare hosts is in it's own Storage Group, and each of the fourty-some LUNs that are dedicated to the VMWare environment has been added to each Storage Group. And now it's a big, hard to manage mess. It isn't set up this way for any better reason than the test environment was set up that way when the company first started playing with VMWare, and it worked, so they stuck with it. Of course we had no idea how big this thing would get in just 18 months and now we need to consolidate some of these Storage Groups in order make things a bit more manageable.

So what I need to know is this- Can I one at a time put each host in maintainence mode, move it to a consolidated Storage Group with all of the LUNs already in it, rescan the bus, and be OK?

Or would I cause myself lots of problems?

If what we're doing now is working and every host can see every LUN then there should be no difference in creating one more Storage Group and dropping all the hosts in there, right?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 14th, 2008 05:00

i think it should work fine, i would create a new storage group, add LUNs to it. I would make sure that Host ID of these LUNs is identical to the existing storage groups, that way disk number should not change from ESX perspective. If you have vmotion ..i would vmotion guests from one box, moving this box to this new storage group, rescan for storage and try to vmotion guests back to it, see if you can bring them online.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

February 14th, 2008 08:00

1 SG with all ESX hosts in it and all the LUN's they need works great. That's how I do it anyway. Sure makes everything a lot easier to manage (each ESX host now sees every unique LUN as the same LUN address).

410 Posts

February 14th, 2008 19:00

Yup I support 1 SG for all hosts in this case, unless some hosts need their own private luns (you can put a lun in many SGs but cant do the same with hosts)
No Events found!